Chapter 30: Funeral

Natasha and I were the only ones that knew about Peggy, which would explain why no one knew why Steve was acting so strange, and it made sense. Even if he told them they wouldn't know what he is talking about. I still don't know what he's going to say to the rest of team, but my job is to make sure that he is okay.

Today is her funeral and Steve is one of the most important guests.

As I finish putting my earrings on, I look at my reflection on the mirror, fixing my black dress after letting out a long sigh. Before walking out the door I grab my high heels and put them on. Then I head to Steve's room and knock on his door.

"Come in." He says in a low voice.

"Hi, I just came to see how you are feeling?" I say closing the door.

"I'll be alright." He says as he puts his tie on.

"Did you tell them?" I ask looking down.

"No. Only Natasha knows." He says sitting on the bed.

"Well, if you want, I could make an exception and use the portal to leave without anyone knowing."

He chuckles and smiles a little. "You smiled." I say almost as a whisper.

He suddenly looks at me. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it's kind of rare to see you smile." I say rubbing my arm and avoiding his eyes.

"Oh, I hadn't realized that, no one has ever told me."

I purse my lips and face palm myself in my mind. Why did I say that?

"Hey don't worry about it." Steve says with a small smile.

"I'm sorry Cap. I'm terrible at conforming people."

"Welcome to the club." He pauses and looks around his room. "Let me finish fixing my room and I'll meet you downstairs, okay?"

"Okay." I say and head to the living room. While I wait for Steve, I play with the ends of my dress and fidget with my fingers, until I hear him clear his throat.

"You ready?" I ask and he nods.

We walk to the elevator as quietly as possible and let out a sigh of relief when the doors close. "Nat is going to meet is over there." I tell Steve, then I notice his clenched fist. I slowly reach out and touch his hand until it gradually opens and holds mine. There is no need to say anything else, he knows I'm here for him no matter what.

We step into a taxi and head to our destination.
                                                               ***
When we arrive at the place we are surprised to see many people there, but then again Peggy was one of the founders of S.H.I.EL.D so most of the people there are agents along with a few family members and others.

Nat joins us a little before the ceremony starts and a little while after Sam joins us too. The four of us listen attentively taking in every word being said, as if listening would somehow make her be here with us again. During the whole ceremony, Nat and I held one of Steve's hands and to be honest, I'm glad Nat and Sam are here too.

After the ceremony, Steve and I walk towards Peggy's grave. Once we reach it, I unlace my arm from his and whisper "I'll give you some space." He nods and looks down. "Call if you need anything." I say giving him a hug.

"Thanks, it means a lot." He says and we pull apart.

There is a bench nearby, so I decide to sit there, thinking about the first time I met Peggy and the wonderful woman she was. I can't believe she's gone. Actually, I can't believe I even got to meet her.

Something made me look back at Steve's direction, and now I see him talking to a blonde girl, which I'm assuming is Sharon Carter, a.k.a Peggy's niece.

The sight of them too made me feel uneasy. I shouldn't be here. My chest starts feeling heavy making me feel overwhelmed and making it hard to breathe. In that moment it seemed like my heart slowed down, beating loudly and threatening to escape from my chest. I put my hand over my heart and try to take a deep breath in but nothing seems to be working. I quickly glance around and stand up fixing my purse on my shoulder. I need to get out of here. When I turn around the corner, I press my body against the wall and take out my phone. My hands shake uncontrollably as they type the message. I'm sorry Steve. I should at least let him know that I'm leaving.

As my finger presses the send button, a tear runs down my cheek. I catch it in time and stare at my wet finger before coming back to my senses. What is wrong with me?

Keeping my head down, I start walking towards the exit. For a moment I was lost, I didn't know where I was going on or why I was feeling this way, but I came back to my senses when I collided with something, or more like someone.