Deleted Scene No. 8: Chapter Sixty-One: Megan's Guide to Training Your Hazel

Start from the beginning

"And you like males as well as females. We are not the same. I don't like fiction." Hazel retorted.

"I knew you were gay, Hazel." Micha mused.

"I never said that."

"You said you're not bisexual. How many hickeys does Grace receive weekly? So you must not like men. So you're pansexual, or you're bisexual with females and another gender or sex that is not male." The senior girl smirked victoriously.

"Hah, my girlfriend wins!" Marley cheered.

"It was not a competition." Hazel would've accompanied the face she gave Marley with an eye roll if she were a normal person. But no. She's a Hazel person.

"Sure." Marley snickered happily.

"I-" Hazel started.

"Don't instigate; you can't win against Marlidity." I hushed her.

"That isn't a word-"

"I know." "Reading improves vocabulary." I answered in unison with Tatiana.

"No." Hazel deadpanned again. Her back pocket suddenly started buzzing, making my leg vibrate. "Not again." Hazel grumbled, pulling the thing out of her pocket and checking the caller ID with a scowl. She got up and walked out of view, but not out of earshot. Of course, the only one who might be able to understand her would be Micha because I believe none of my friends speak any of Hazel's fanciful tongues. What I did recognize was that Hazel's conversation was not happy- it was definitely irritating her immensely. And I sort of picked up my name, Megan's name, Riley's name, and the chilling tone Hazel occasionally spat out indicated that Alexa was being referred to.

"Damn." Micha whispered under her breath.

"What?" Robyn prodded in my peripheral hearing while I listened back into Hazel's conversation.

"You understand what she's saying?" Cael's voice drew my attention back to the conversation I understood- but still without my permission.

"Some of it." Micha was still only half paying attention.

"Well?" Robyn made a gesture with her hands.

"Can't say. Just know that Hazel is very unhappy about it." Micha shrugged.

Hazel suddenly called my name and added something afterwards. Micha gave me a look that I took as a question of whether or not I understood. I shook my head.

"Grace! Here. Now." Hazel growled in a language I did understand.

"When the insurance companies asks why I get all your money, I'm telling them I'm your sister." Marley stated when I stood to go tend to whatever Hazel did this time.

"Hilarious." I rolled my eyes, walking over to Hazel.

"Here." Hazel handed me her phone with an irate hiss through her teeth.

"Hey?" I held the phone to my ear.

"Hey." Megan's flat voice filled the line. "Look, I need to talk with you. In person. Soon. I am busy this week, so please tell me when you're free and I'll see if I can cancel something." She stated, sighing. Papers shuffled and something like the sound of a chair squeaking played in the ambience of the call.

"Okay. Why?" I crossed one arm over my chest while the other held the phone. I looked at Hazel and our eyes met. I felt a smile try and form on my lips. Even through she was tense and looked pissed, she was still beautiful and it gave me a rush to remember that she was mine. My Zel. My beautiful creature.

"Why else?" She replied.

"Well I figured but what in particular?"

"Her habits mostly. I just want to check up on you two."

"Kay. Anything else?"

"Yeah, but that's why I need to see you face-to-face. I already talked to Zel. Just hang up and give her the phone."

"Bye." I hung up, holding the phone out to Hazel. She took the phone, brushing my hand with hers. She looked up at me, frowning again, and slowly backed me against a wall, leaning closer until her breath was on my neck. I bit my lip, questioning Hazel's mood (as per the norm). I thought she was in a pissy mood. Not a touchy mood. I was not prepared for this. Not to mention the fact that she was still really close to me and the thoughts going through my head were not things I wanted any passerby students, teachers, or friends to see. If any more rumors got around, I'd guess Hazel would be more pissed than last time. But was it worth it...? I mean- Hazel is really close and I really want to kiss her... Snap out of it, Grace!

Hazel snarled a little in her throat. For real, does she make those noises with a purpose, or just to make my knees weak?

"Stop it." She snapped. "Ugh." She added when I didn't stop whatever she was talking about. "I'm reminding you that our relationship is not public. Make sure you and your friends keep quiet." She whispered like wind into my ear. My knees were trembling slightly. God, what was wrong with me? She wasn't supposed to be affecting me so much.

"Grace..." Hazel growled. I rested my hands on her hips. What was it about Hazel that held me captive like this? Why was I so prone to her seduction while she was seemingly almost immune to me.

"Hazel." I mimicked.

"Stop." She pried my hands off her and stepped away. "I told you. We are not public." She scowled in her special manner.

"I know... I just... Can I hug you?" I bit my lip, my face heating up. She crossed her arms and nodded brusquely.

"Fine. But no more public affections." She demanded. I rolled my eyes, undoing her arms and placing them around the small of my back. She constricted around me as I wrapped my arm around her neck and urged her impossibly close to me. I buried my face in her hair and took in her delicious scent. I felt Hazel's lips on my neck, but not in particularly sexual way, almost... Reassuring? Affectionate? Dare I say loving? One way or another, my heart was having a fit of my own feelings.

...