Chapter 40: Gotta Be You

CL's phone beeped. She read the message from GD.

Want to have early dinner with me? I'll be waiting in the main cafeteria at five.

She smiled and typed in a reply:

I will be there. See you at 5.

Then, she changed course and headed for the school salon to impress GD. She is so excited to dine with him again after a long time that she completely forgot that she is meeting Seungri at the Sunken Garden at the same exact time She had her blonde hair straightened so it looked longer. She had changed her makeup to a subtle one and she sprayed on her cologne way back in high school. She also changed into a simple dress which GD liked the most.

I want to impress him. This is our night.

CL stared at the full length mirror in front of her and studied her appearance. She practiced smiling and twirling around. She looked younger, fresh, and really blooming. But then she stopped and looked at herself again. Her smile faded.

I am seeing the old me. This is the girl GD loved. I know it will bring back the old days.

But... But this isn't me anymore.
Somehow, the girl in the mirror is not me anymore.

She touched her face and the girl in front of her mimicked her actions.

Cut it out, CL! You are meeting him to continue your past. It is only natural to look like your old self.

She twirled again and forced a smile on her lips as she headed for the cafeteria where GD is waiting. While on her way there, other students kept staring at her as if she's a celebrity. For CL, it felt awkward but at the same time, it felt good. As she approached the cafeteria, she saw GD sitting by the table near the window. He hadn't changed his clothes. It was still the same one he wore during class.

How disappointing. I thought we're on a date.
...Yeah right. Stop dreaming, CL.

She walked towards him and as soon as he spotted her, a smile formed on his lips.

So he liked me, err, I mean, my outfit.

"Hey, you look pretty." He said as he pulled a chair for her. She smiled at the compliment.

"Thank you. How long have you been waiting?"

"Just got here a minute before you." He shrugged.

"That's a relief. I thought I kept you waiting long enough to ditch me." She joked.

GD smiled but it didn't meet his eyes.

"Shall we order now?" he asked insteadx CL nodded.

While waiting for their order, GD was just silent. He looks like a guy who is about to break up with his girl but doesn't know how to deliver the words nicely.

Please don't tell me it's over between us. It ain't over... Please...

"CL... there is something I'd like to say to you."

"Uh, sure."

"CL... after thinking things over..."

"GD... can... can I sing you a song first?"

"Huh?"

"Well, there's a stage and a microphone. No one's singing so... so I'd like to sing you a song first. You know, to ease the... the tension..." GD looked hesitant but he nodded. CL walked towards the empty stage. All heads turned to her as she talked to the person in charge for the music.