Chapter Fifty-Seven : Not Really Unexpected

Începe de la început

"So, let's go get stuff to eat, run by Good Witch for desert, and then we'll drag Ace to the Underground and you two go couch browsing." Ana decided and dragged us all out of the tea shop.

...

"Anyone know why that's there?" Marley frowned at the sight of a familiar black car in my driveway as Micha pulled in next to it, grumbling inadvertently- something about her spot being taken.

I checked my phone. Oh. Joy. New messages from Hazel. I don't know if that was sarcastic or not.

Hazel: Megan kicked me out until eight and told me to 'make nice' with you and your parents.

Hazel: Are you home? I'm here.

Hazel: Jamine followed me. She wants to see you again.

Hazel: Grace? Are you home? I'm cold.

Hazel: I'm letting myself in. Text before you bring friends (Megan said you'd bring friends)- Jamine is refusing to listen to me.

I kinda chuckled under my breath at the indigence and childishness of Hazel's whining, and at the deadpan voice I could hear even through her texts.

"Hazel and Hazel's housemate." I stated while quickly texting Hazel that my friends and I were outside.

"Any reason?" Micha stalled, playing with the rear view mirror.

"Megan." I shrugged.

"I didn't know Hazel had a housemate other than Megan." Marley frowned.

"Well, she does."

"I have Tzvalani." Micha added. "A lot of the people who go to Hazel's and my night school have housemates."

"Fair enough. Is she a Hazel?" Marley inquired. I lifted an eyebrow.

"She's bubbly and cute. So no, she isn't a 'Hazel'." I scowled.

"You don't find Hazel cute?" Robyn put in absentmindedly.

"I do. Once in a blue moon, she can be very cute. In a Hazel-y way." Hazel cute wasn't normal cute. It was Hazel. When has anything Hazel been normal?

"If you say so." Cael muttered amusedly. He sounded almost like he didn't believe me. I don't know why that bothered me so much.

"What?"

"Nothing! It's just hard to imagine Hazel being cute. Or anything resembling cute. Or anything but bitchy ice queen. No offense." He shrugged.

"She isn't bitchy. High maintenance, yes, but not bitchy. Jealous and irritating and infuriating and tiresome, yes; but not bitchy." I found myself getting unusually worked up and defending her against things that until maybe two days ago, I would've said.

"Easy there. You okay?" Robyn pursed her lips.

"Yeah. Sorry. Just... Hazel told me some things and I really believe that she's trying to be at least tolerant of you guys. She's trying. She just... Doesn't get it." I remember Megan's rant about how Hazel was trying and how she really did feel things but didn't understand emotions or people- and I'd thought it was complete sisterly bullshit.

My phone buzzed with another message from Ms. Problematic herself.

Hazel: You said you were outside. What's taking so long?

I sighed. Woah. Major deja vu.

Me: Hush, you. My friends are taking a while.

Hazel: I can't stand Jamine's nonsense anymore.