Chapter Fifty-Four : The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"Probably because I'm not the one with the hots for the spawn of Satan." She shrugged. "And if you're getting on well with her, I guess it's for the better, seeing as you're unable to get over her."

"What do I do, Mar? I don't know how to feel. I like her one minute, then we hate each other and I want to go at her neck sometimes, often in more than one way at once!" I groaned. I felt sick to my stomach. Sick of the waiting. The butterflies. The confusion. The inevitable fact that I was going to fall for Hazel. All of it. Sick.

"Well, as your social aid, she does kinda show some potential as your interest. She's still 'sus A.F. but maybe it could work... As your friend, I'm sorry you have to go through it but you're also going to need to make a decision here, trust Hazel or not?"

"I don't trust her. When I am away from her, I know what is best for me. When I'm near her I lose my friggin' mind! I can't make a choice when I can't even control myself. Every time I see her I can forget every single thing that's wrong with it but then I forget it all."

"Maybe that's a good thing?"

"How you figure?"

"If she makes you forget your concerns, maybe it's a good sign."

"But then they come back."

"And there is the problem. Don't chose now, but you really need to decide if you're going to risk it or not, and to be fair, you might have already lost the chance to call quits. You do seem pretty much hopeless at getting over her."

"Ugh." I complained. If it had been up to me, I'd've been done with feelings for her since day two.

"But... Your love life isn't the only thing I came to talk to you about. I'm not entirely sure how to go about this without making it sound like an invasion of your privacy, or without telling you something that I shouldn't, but... Micha and I were talking the other day, and she told me stuff that I'm pretty sure is what Hazel told you about last night..."

"I don't think so-"

"I don't mean her deal with Alexa. That's none of my business unless I can get it out of Hazel." Marley pursed her lips. "I don't know how to say it without accidentally saying too much."

"I can talk to Micha and see if she told you what Hazel told me. Did she drive you?"

"Oh... Yeah that's a good idea. I'll go grab her." Marley ran off to the front door and left.

I sighed deeply. What the hell was I supposed to do about her? I can't give in because I don't trust her, but I can't escape because I swear if I didn't know any better, I'd say I'm practically two thirds the way in love with her- woah. Not that far, Grace. Not even if it has the chance of being true- but it can't be true. I am not in any way in love with Hazel.

"Back!" Marley shouted. "I brought Micha!"

"Hey, Thirteen." I couldn't help a small smile at Micha's nickname for me. It reminded me that I was still in possession of some normal memories. But then, I remembered, Micha is oh so indefinitely far from normal.

"Hey." I swallowed. My veins froze again. The deep gouges on Hazel's back drifted back into my memory. A wave of nausea hit me.

"Marley, help, now." I caught Micha say just before I darted to the bathroom and began puking up everything from my esophagus to my large intestine. I didn't skim over recognizing that Marley'd been very quick to help me out and hold my hair back as I offered up my last meal as tribute to the great porcelain throne deity.

"You feeling better, Grace?" Micha called from outside the bathroom.

"Yeah..." I closed my eyes to try and settle my breathing, almost letting another wave of vomit out at the rank odor of bile. "I'm going to go make myself not smell like puke now." I muttered, easing my way upright again.