Chapter 26

I wake up in the morning feeling sick to my stomach. Dad comes in my room and see's me. "Hey sweetie. How was Seth's?" He asks.

"Okay." I say.

"Are you okay?"

"I don't feel too good."

"Oh. Well, lay down and relax. I will bring you some soup." I nod my head and lay on my side. It feels like a sauna in here. I uncover my body and close my eye's. Dad comes back in about ten minutes later with Soup, a can of ginger-ale, and a thermometer. "Sit up princess." I do as he say's and he sticks the thermometer in my mouth. I am falling asleep just sitting there. I hear the beep and look at the thermometer. 102. Great! I drink the ginger-ale and wait a few seconds before trying the soup. It doesn't sit well in my stomach and I quickly, being careful of the bowl of soup, go to my bathroom. You don't really need to read the details.

Dad must have heard me because he rush's into my bathroom. "Are you okay? What was your temperature?"

"102. I feel like I am dying."

"Okay, lets get you to the hospital. What does your watch say?" I look down at it and it say's 72. That's not to bad, but if I don't get something in me at some point, it could be bad. He calls out to Bella, telling her that he is taking me to the hospital, and leads me to the police cruiser. I sit in the passenger seat and lean my head up against the window. Dad hands me my slippers and his police jacket. I put them on and lean back up against the window and close my eye's. It feels like hours before we arrive at the hospital.

Dad helps me out of the car and into the hospital. "Hello Charlie. What can I do for you?"

"Hello Barbra. My daughter has a fever of 102 and is throwing up."

"Okay, is it Bella or Maya?"

"Maya." She nods her head and puts the bracelet on my hand.

"Okay, go into room three and one of the doctors will be with you shortly." Dad leads me to the room and I lay down on the bed. I close my eye's hoping to get some sleep, but sadly, I had the feeling again. I quickly go into the bathroom and throw up. I rinse my mouth out and wash my hands before going back to the room and seeing the doctor.

"Hello Maya. I understand you are feeling sick."

"Yeah. Can I have something for my stomach."

"Well, I would like to do an examination first, and try to get your temperature down. I see here that it was 102 when you checked it." I nod my head and hold my stomach because of the pain. "Are you feeling pain in your abdomen?" I nod my head and he starts his procedure. He takes my temperature, which has done up one degree, checks my blood pressure, and all that happy stuff. He has a nurse put an IV in and gives me something for the nausea. "Okay, with you having diabetes I am worried about your blood sugar dropping. I am going to try to keep it up, but you need to try to eat something." I sit up and eat the jell-o that he hands me. I eat it slowly and get the feeling in my stomach. Luckily, there is a bucket next to my bed now or else I wouldn't have made it to the bathroom.

"Okay, your blood work is back, your blood sugar is back to normal, your white blood count is a little high, but that could mean that you have an infection. Besides that, everything seems normal." He looks up from the clip board and at us. "Okay, due to hospital policy, I had to run a pregnancy test. Have you been sexually active lately?"

"No. Why?"

"I had to make sure. The pregnancy test came back negative so." I let out a sigh of relief and lean back on the bed. "Okay, I want to do a spinal tap to rule out meningitis. If you do have it, and we caught it in time, you could okay. But if we didn't catch it in time, there could be some risks. Or there could be another option. I want to make sure you have it before scaring you." I nod my head and follow the nurses instructions. "I will put a rush on these and should have the results within an hour." I say okay and close my eye's. I think I fell asleep because when I open my eye's the doctor is talking to my dad in the corner of the room.

"Dad?"

I try sitting up. "No, lean back sweetie." I lean back and look at him. "You are going to be okay sweetie. They caught the infection in time. You might have some hearing problems. Other than that, you are perfectly fine."

"Does that mean I can go home now?"

"After we take off your cast." I forgot all about that, "Okay, with the medicine I am prescribing you, you have to take it three times daily for a month." I sit up and he takes off my cast and all of the wires.

"Do you know how I got meningitis?"

"Unfortunately, you could have gotten it from anyway. It is just something that you wouldn't notice unless someone were to have it. Even then, not everyone shows signs until it is too late." I nod my head and get up. Dad helps me back out to the car and back into the house. I just lay in bed all day, sleeping. Hoping that Seth didn't get it.