PART 45: I squirt him with a hose...and now I have to marry him?

Start from the beginning

He wasn’t talking.

He hadn’t said much in the car, or on the walk here. It was like he didn’t want to believe anything was happening.

“Come on, Arch” I smiled and looked up at him, but he just sighed and found the pew towards the front, near where Archer’s father, my brother and our party were.

Father Bailey stood from his priest seat when he saw that we had arrived, nodding to us as he walked over with a stick holding him up.

“Mr Braxton and Miss Gunner, it is quite nice of you both to join us” His croaky sarcasm snapped at us. I smiled at him and waved, stepping towards him and kissing his cheeks.

“How are you this fine afternoon father?” I grinned and pushed Archer forwards, who reluctantly shook Father’s hand and looked down.

Father raised an eyebrow, “What’s his problem? Nerves?”

I shrugged.

Father laughed and clapped Archer on the shoulder, forcing, what looked to be a little boy, stare up and give a small smile.

“Marriage is just another way of showing the world that she is yours, put it that way” Father brought his hand to Archer’s neck and then tapped his chin with his open palm.

“I guess you’re right father” Archer moaned, and turned to me, only slightly.

Father raised his walking stick and made a noise, turning and hitting Archer with the stick, “Of course I am right, the Lord God is within me, boy”

I covered my mouth, repressing a laugh as Archer hold his shoulder, and Father went to face the alter, bowing and kissing it, “Let’s begin”

Henry and Kaelb stood up from their seats, walking over to me and standing by my side. Henry was the first to speak.

“Good afternoon, Charlotte, how are you? Or should I say, where were you, this practise was supposed to start an hour ago” He raised his hand and took my elbow, raising an eyebrow as he said so.

I gave him a grin, “Nowhere, I swear it was all Archer’s fault” Pointing to the boy standing next to Father. Clearly my whispered words weren’t whispered because he stuck out his tongue and said something to Sean, who laughed and got scolded by Father.

“I’m sure it was”

Kaelb laughed and nudged me, “I bet you any money, old man, that they were finally getting it on”

“Kaelb!”

He shrugged, “What?”

I shook my head as he took my other elbow, laughing as I beat red in the face, “Ass—“ I stopped myself before swearing and simply kicked him in the shin.

That shut him up.

When we reached the entrance of the church, Father stood and told Archer and everyone else where to stand.

Father asked Sophie, Kay and even Jamie, who after much protest got to stand up, and on the other side stood Sean, Timmy and Isaac. Archer stood between the two groups and had his back to me, something about making it special for the ‘real deal’.

“Okay, now slowly bring her down” Father called, sitting in his chair and watching as we walked slowly as can be down the red lined carpet of the church. Henry was trying to keep his mouth shut, but it wasn’t really working, every time Father would mention something we were doing wrong, Henry would laugh and turn it into something disturbing. Kaelb on the other kept tripping over his own feet and pulling Henry and I after him.