Finally, she replied, her voice steady despite the uncertainty swirling within her. "Maybe because you wanted to see what I'd do next?"

"Maybe."

"That's not much of an answer."

He was moving closer and all she could do was push her back more into the tree behind her. A beam of moonlight illuminated his face, highlighting his rugged features and deep, mysterious eyes. He wore snug denim jeans and a black leather jacket over a black t-shirt, hands stuffed deep into the jacket.

Willow had almost forgotten the kind of effect he had on her, how he always kept her on her toes. His short dark hair jigged with the soft breeze of the night, his skin clean and bright under the moonlight.

"Perhaps I don't intend to give you any."

She swallowed deep in her throat, narrowing her eyes. "What does that—"

She was saying but he cut her off by stepping in front of her and propping an arm on the tree behind her. He was so close, for a long minute neither of them spoke a word.

"There's one thing that I have not been able to understand."

"What?

"You were in a coma for a very long time."

"Yes, I was."

"Even at the night of the fire."

"Yup!"

He leaned in closer, as if not wanting to miss a single detail from thereon. "Then how come I saw you that night?"

Willow swallowed, feeling trapped once again. He had cornered her for a reason. He wanted answers. A mystery he probably couldn't solve.

She shrugged, trying to be clueless. "Saw me where?"

His eyes darkened even more. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Trying to be smart."

"What makes you think I'm trying?" She tilted her head to the other side, looking up at him. "For your kind information, I have always been smart."

The corner of his mouth twitched. "You were there that night," he said with more conviction, leaning closer. "At least, it was you that I saw. I know I'm right."

Willow struggled to understand what the hell was going on. She had time-traveled in the past to save Ronin. And while she had no intention but to do just that, she ended up making the blunder of coming face-to-face with him. Dan had not only seen her but also caught her and looked her in the eye when he tried to stop her from jumping into the fire.

Now that she was back in the present, it made sense that he remembered that incident. She thought it was funny in a way. Their whole romance was wiped out from her present probably because of that one stupid confrontation.

But the truth was, she couldn't simply admit to bumping into him that night just because it was the only truth. In reality, she was supposed to be in a coma during that time and miles away from where that incident happened. In reality, she wasn't supposed to be anywhere near that place, or him. In reality, it never happened because one person couldn't be in two places, especially one in a prolonged state of unconsciousness.

Suddenly, she was nervous. She averted her eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about."

But he was determined to prove her wrong.

He grabbed her chin, forcing her to meet his gaze. "I have been trying to understand this mystery for as long as I can remember. You were there that night. I saw you with my own eyes. I touched you. You were real. But that's where it gets tricky. Ronin's sister had been in a coma for years. I saw the video footage myself. Even on the night of the fire, she was there, asleep. But not you. I've tried every possible explanation, but nothing adds up. It's been driving me insane. I've tried asking you about it after you woke up from the coma, but you looked at me like you had no clue. It was like you were a whole different person. And that just made it all the more confusing."

He loosened his grip on her chin and put his other hand on the tree as well, gazing at her with the narrowness of his deep, dark eyes.

"But when you came this morning, you had the same look in your eyes. The look I saw that night. And as if that wasn't enough, you knew my name."

"I don't think knowing your name is a big deal—" she started to say, but stopped when she saw the intensity in his expression.

"It is to me. Because in my line of work, people like me don't have names. Even Ronin doesn't know. Not yet. But you do. And that makes me wonder, Ms Logan, that makes me wonder big time."

A/N: Oops, looks like Dan is not about to let go :P