Chapter Eighty

After the checkup and receiving a thumbs-up from the doctor and his team, Carmen managed to slip out of the room when Molly got busy attending an official call. She had been meaning to talk to Ronin about the recent developments that, unfortunately, he had been a part of since the very beginning. She wondered if he deliberately kept it from her, and if that were the case, then why? Was he afraid she would deny it? Did he think she wouldn't understand?

What the hell was he thinking?

Upon reaching the room he used as a home office, she hesitated for only a moment before letting her knuckles fall onto the door. The door opened with a sound of its own, as if it hadn't been locked in the first place, and Ronin looked up from his desk, a flash of confusion passing over his handsome features.

"Carmen?" He put his pen down, leaning forward. "Is everything okay?"

Carmen sighed and walked in, closing the door behind her. "Everything is fine," she said, though she felt like they still had a lot to work on. Disappointment churned deep in her stomach, making her feel all sorts of things.

However, Ronin could tell something was off about her. The way he had left her with Molly a few hours ago, she didn't look the same, and it made him wonder. He pushed the chair back and stood up from the desk, taking cautious steps towards her. "What's wrong?" he asked, searching for her gaze. "You look upset. Did Molly say some—"

"No!" She didn't let him finish and shook her head, coming to a halt once she reached close to him. "It's not Molly, Ronin." She met his gaze. "It's you."

Ronin's brows furrowed, and he studied her face with concern. "Me? What did I do?"

"Why didn't you tell me about this?"

For a moment, he just stared, eyebrows furrowed. "About what?"

But Carmen wasn't playing this game—this game of being deliberately oblivious. "You know what I'm talking about." She crossed her arms over her chest, glaring gently. She hated that he was doing this right now. How could he not know what she was talking about? He couldn't be such a—

To her dismay, he grinned, and she knew her doubts were proven right. He was just being an idiot. Stupid Logan. Ugh.

"You really find this funny, don't you?" She huffed out, turning to face the other side of the room. She didn't want to look at him—growing irritated and anxious for more than one reason.

"No." He shook his head, taking another deliberate step towards her, both hands stuffed deep into the pocket of his pants. He was dressed in a crisp white shirt and a pair of grey pants, his dark hair styled to perfection as he cocked his head to one side. "It's not funny. But it's amusing for sure." His crooked grin never wavered.

Her frown deepened. "What's amusing about you keeping things from me? Did you even care to ask me if I'm okay with it?"

"But isn't Molly your best friend?" He countered innocently. "I thought seeing her would make you happier."

"Of course, I am happy!" God, why was this so hard to discuss anymore? He was making this deliberately difficult. But why? "I just...it just would have been more convenient if you had cared to ask me before inviting those two to stay with us?"

Ronin chuckled, his eyes dancing with mischief. But instead of answering her right away, he appeared behind her and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close and as gently as possible, loving the way she fit so perfectly in his arms, his chest swelling with a certain sweet emotion.

He brought his mouth close to her ear, whispering. "Well, excuse me for trying to make you happy. Next time, I'll make sure to take your opinion on how and when to surprise my woman."