Chapter Thirty

Carmen's heart pounded loudly in her chest, drowning out all other sounds

Carmen's heart pounded loudly in her chest, drowning out all other sounds. She felt completely lost, unsure of what to do or how to escape from this terrible situation.

Simon had left a few minutes ago, stranding her alone in the dreary room. All she had done since then was pace back and forth, consumed by restlessness and overwhelmed by the fear of what would happen next.

The cramped space only added to her discomfort, reeking of all kinds of nasty smells.

It was uncomfortably hot, too, with the air thick with humidity, causing her to sweat from unexpected places. Now and then, a drop of sweat would trickle down her temple or between her breasts, and she would fan herself or adjust her clothes, hoping to find some relief.

But even then, she couldn't bring herself to sit down, not even for a moment. Her chest throbbed with the intense force of her heart slamming against her rib cage, and her fingers grew weary from repeatedly running through her hair.

There was no certainty about Simon's return, but she knew time was running out to find a way to escape from him as quickly as possible. Once that man came back, all chances of success would vanish.

Carmen stopped pacing and shifted her attention to inspecting the room. If she could find something unexpected that could be used as a weapon, there might be a small chance of breaking free from Simon's grip. It seemed nearly impossible given the presence of those armed men around him, but she had to hold onto hope.

Once more, her eyes landed on the chair tucked away in the corner, accompanied by handcuffs and ropes placed on top. It appeared as though it had recently been used to restrain someone against their will.

She couldn't help but wonder what happened to that person.

She feared the kind of cruelty Simon was capable of.

The thought was enough to send a shiver down her spine, but she closed her eyes and reminded herself to stay strong, not ready to give in to him yet. She would fight him every step of the way. She would take her freedom, no matter what.

With that thought in mind, she walked up to the chair and, for the first time, noticed what seemed like dried blood on the floor and the chair's armrest.