Chapter Twenty One

Carmen sat on the bench for what felt like hours, her mind in turmoil

Carmen sat on the bench for what felt like hours, her mind in turmoil. Eventually, she made the difficult decision to leave the cruise. She couldn't see any reason to stay, even though she wanted to know why Simon had done what he did. She was exhausted and done with everything that was going on around her. The constant hurt, betrayal, and lies had taken their toll, and she needed a break, a fucking break.

Had it not been for Molly stopping her from boarding that flight, she would have been sitting contentedly with her dad. She wouldn't have met Simon, and she wouldn't be standing at this perplexing crossroads in her life. Now, her biggest problem was figuring out what she should do next. Should she simply accept whatever came her way as fate, or should she take action and ensure that those who had made her life miserable were held accountable?

The uncertainty of her situation weighed heavily on her mind. She felt lost, trapped in a maze with no clear path out. Should she continue down the road she was on, or take a new, unknown direction?

As she pondered her options, memories of the past flooded her mind. The harsh words, the cruel laughter, the constant belittling. It was all still fresh, still raw.

A sudden surge of anger coursed through her. Why should she just accept what had happened to her? Why shouldn't she fight back and make a stand?

However, the reality of the situation was harsh and daunting. The individuals Carmen was currently dealing with were some of the wealthiest and most powerful people in the world. They were untouchable, operating outside the bounds of any justice system. With an army of lawyers, private investigators, and corrupt officials at their disposal, they could evade consequences for any wrongdoing.

As much as it pained her to admit it, this was the harsh truth of the world she lived in. The rich wielded immense power and influence, and there seemed to be little that could bring them down or hold them accountable for their actions. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but it was a reality that Carmen had learned to accept in order to survive in the cutthroat world of high-stakes business.

"Ugh, what should I do?" Carmen let out a frustrated groan and dropped her face into her hands. She was at her wits' end, unsure of what to do next. The weight of her problems felt like a heavy burden that she couldn't shake off.