Chapter Fifty-Seven

[PRESENT]

Carmen woke up to her usual morning alarm, stretching out her arms and suppressing a yawn that threatened to escape her mouth. Getting out of bed, she ambled straight to the bathroom, returning after a quick, soothing shower.

However, the moment she marched out of her bedroom and into the living space, her gaze fell upon the man on the couch, and for a second, she lost her footing.

"Oh, shit!"

The surprise arrival of Ronin the previous night had completely slipped her mind.

Carmen checked the time on the wall clock and almost choked. "How did I forget this?"

Shaking her head, she rushed up to where Ronin slept on the couch, which seemed to barely fit his large frame. She ignored the little flutter her heart did at the sight of him, at his sleepy posture, and touched his shoulder. "Ronin. Wake up. You're going to be late."

Ronin stirred in his sleep, groggily blinking his eyes open. His dishevelled hair and sleepy expression made him look oddly endearing.

"Hmm? What's going on?" He mumbled, his voice thick with sleep and eyes droopy.

Carmen gently shook his shoulders, her concern for his tardiness outweighing her awkwardness at waking him up. "You have to leave. It's already six. If Grandpa found you gone, he's going to be really mad."

His eyes widened as he suddenly became more alert. "Oh, damn, I overslept?"

Carmen nodded, a faint smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "Yes, you did. Now, hurry up and leave."

Ronin sat up, rubbing his eyes, checking the time on his wristwatch, only for his eyes to widen as if he had just been slapped by reality. "Fuck!"

In a flurry of movement, Ronin leapt off the couch. He rushed to gather his belongings, hastily donning his shirt, and slipping his feet into his shoes.

Restless, Carmen tapped her foot on the floor, her arms wound around herself, nibbling on her lip as she watched him run a hand through his hair and then stride back to the couch to grab his phone.

"He calls every morning at six to check up on me," Ronin muttered as Carmen scrolled through his phone. "He hadn't yet. Do you think he forgot?"

"No!" Carmen was way too quick to disagree, shaking her head. "He never forgets. And you should know that better than anyone."

"You're probably right."

"Exactly. Now, leave. Before Lily knocks on your room and finds you gone."

Ronin sighed, rubbing his nape as if easing the stiff muscles. "Can I at least get some coffee?"

"No!" Carmen responded by giving him a gentle shove toward the door. "Get it from outside."

"You're so mean," he teased, grinning a little.

"Just trying to save your ass here."

Shaking his head, he turned to leave, but then he turned back around, walking backwards. "You know it's the first time I'm being kicked out of a woman's apartment?"

Carmen tried to hold back a smile, but it managed to break through. "Well, there's a first time for everything. Now, off you go!"

Ronin left and she let out a relieved sigh after shutting the door, but her peace was short-lived. The doorbell rang, and she audibly groaned. "Seriously?"

She swung the door open, her hand on her hip. "What now?"

Ronin scratched the back of his head. "I forgot my wallet."