Chapter Four

"I don't need a shopping spree to cheer my mood, Molly, I need sleep

"I don't need a shopping spree to cheer my mood, Molly, I need sleep." Carmen groaned as she was dragged by her best friend to one of the most expensive clothing stores in the mall.

"That's precisely what you've been doing for the previous two weeks, and seeing you and your miserable state of mind and body, I don't think it's working." Molly harped, thanking the guard who'd already opened the glass door for them before closing it behind their backs.

Carmen tried one more time to pull herself away, but Molly had linked her arm around hers, making it nearly impossible to detach from her bothersome friend.

"Come on!" Eventually, standing in front of the racks, Molly let go of Carmen and started chucking any dress she deemed cute, sexy, or just suited for the workplace, the one Carmen still needed to start attending.

"Ugh!" Carmen sighed, hardly keeping up with Molly's rapid swings. "You're so annoying. Hope you are aware of that."

Molly gave her a sideway glance, smirking. "Of course, I am aware of that. That's why we get along so well. You're as exciting as watching paint dry, and I'm as mundane as the next binge-worthy show on Netflix."

Carmen rolled her eyes at the sarcasm, trying to balance all of the garments that had been hurled at her. "OK, OK, OK, this is enough." Was she expected to try all of these? If it were to happen, it would take the entire day.

Shit. This was not what she signed up for.

Wait. Come to think of it, she hadn't signed up for any of this.

Just fucking great.

Carmen sighed as one of the staff arrived just in time, taking pity on her, to spare her from the atrocities of her best friend, who could be just as ruthless as the devil right out of hell.

"Please let me help you with those, ma'am." The pleasant attendant said before leading them to the trying room.

However, Carmen was about to take another step when her gaze was drawn to a familiar figure.

Jenna Rivers stood on the high platform in the trying section of the showroom, her back to Carmen, and seemed to be trying on a dress. Jenna's joy, however, was short-lived as she caught a glimpse of Ronin's ex-wife in the mirror.