Chapter Hundred

Eric wasn't sure what his next course of action should be, but one thing he knew—whatever it was, he would have to do it sooner rather than later.

After he saw Diana and Simon entering the club, there was no doubt in his mind that they were after James—and that only meant that they were after him. Perhaps Carmen had asked for Diana's help. Why else would Diana be interested in James? Or maybe it was Grandpa. That old man sure had secrets of his own.

Not that it was time to be concerned about those.

If Diana got to James, he would spill the beans. And if he knew Eric abandoned him at such a crucial hour, he would surely do something stupid and turn all the blame on him.

Shit. The fucker was untrustworthy from the start. Why did he ever believe a word he said? How could he land himself in such a mess, especially when he had been so careful?

Shit. Shit. Shit.

No. He would have to think of something. Anything to protect his standing in the family. Like James, Eric couldn't lose everything. He couldn't live on the streets without the luxury he was born into.

Wasn't it the same fear that led him to become part of James' world?

After his dad handed the company's CEO position to Ronin—his younger brother—James fed Eric's paranoia and assured him that one day Ronin would take away everything from him. Just like Grandpa was blinded by the love for his older son and disregarded James at every step of life, Eric's father was going to do the same with him.

Ronin had always been the favorite of his parents, and handing him the business seemed just like the beginning James had warned him about. Eric would have thought nothing of it and waved off James' unwarranted concerns if not for Grandpa's interference when he convinced Carmen to marry Ronin.

Ronin! Fuck! He took everything from him. Everything he deserved. Everything he should have had but didn't because his family didn't consider him worthy enough. Even Carmen chose him over Eric. She didn't even consider him, didn't even care to spare his feelings for her. How could he live with that?

He couldn't. Perhaps that was the reason he couldn't hold off his anger on the night of Ronin and Carmen's wedding and begged James to do something about it. He was in so much pain, and he wanted that pain to stop. The betrayal from his own family cut deep, and he wanted nothing more than to just...

His phone rang and Eric found himself being yanked out of his troubled thoughts. He wiped the unshed tears wobbling in the corner of his eyes and checked the screen.

His mother was calling him.

A shot of discomfort rose in his chest, as he held the phone tightly and tapped his shoe on the concrete floor, debating if he should answer or just let it go to voicemail. He couldn't disconnect, that's for sure. Else, she would know that he was ignoring her. And that would be the last thing he wanted anyone to assume about him.

Eventually, the phone went into the voicemail and he couldn't help but sigh in short-lived relief.

He looked around himself and tried to find calm in the empty property. He had plans to resume the construction work on this land after he bought it a year and a half ago. But he never got to get around it. Unfortunately, this was the only place no one would come looking for him as they didn't know about this investment of his. He never shared. Not even with James. Perhaps that's why he felt safe here. Or at least safe until he came up with something more permanent.

His phone rang again. He sighed. His mom was calling again. He stared at the screen, scratching the scruff on his jaw.

"Fine," he said to himself. "I have to start somewhere. Perhaps this is the place I should."

He answered the call.

"Eric?" His mother sounded unsure, as if she couldn't believe he answered. "Are you there? Can you hear me?"

Eric didn't know what to say for a very long time—he didn't know how to start or how much she knew. He couldn't tread blindly; that would surely get him in trouble.

He moistened his lips. "Mom," he spoke quietly. "I'm here."

"Oh, my God, Eric. Why haven't you been answering your phone? This is so careless of you. Do you know how worried I have been? Jesus, you boys don't know how to behave now that you're older. Always giving me frights."

His chest tightened, almost to the point he couldn't breathe. "How's Grandpa, Mom?"

"So, you heard about him?" She asked, sniffling in the background. He could tell she had been crying. She was an emotional one, his mom. "He hasn't regained consciousness, not yet. But the doctors are positive he would wake up soon."

"Of course, I heard. Dad called me to let me know."

"Then, why aren't you here? Ronin came as soon as he could. Carmen came to see Edgar too. You're the only one who didn't show up, Eric. That's not right, and you know that."

"I understand, Mom. But I think...I won't be able to make it." It hurt him to say that. It hurt him so much. But he couldn't think of any other way. At first, he thought he could make up an excuse and convince everything of his innocence. But the longer he talked to his mom, the more he felt like he had ruined everyone beyond repair. Once his mother learned of what he had done, would she talk to him like she was right now? Would she show him the concern that she always showed towards him?

No. She wouldn't. He destroyed that. The one good thing he never wanted to be tainted by anything in this world. The one thing he couldn't even blame Ronin for. It was all his doing. He was the one whose actions were about to hurt his mom deeply.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked, but as if she suspected something, her voice grew soft yet serious. "Eric, where are you? Are you okay? Has anything happened? You know you can tell me anything, right?"

Tears scorched his eyes, quickly wetting his cheeks. "I know. I know, Mom. But this is not something I can tell you myself. I'm sorry, but you would have to hear it from someone else. I'm not...I'm not that brave."

His mom started to say something, but before she could, he disconnected the call.

Eric sat back in the chair and stared at the wall ahead, the paint peeling off its surface.

For the next few minutes, he prepared himself for what he thought was the only way to get through his circumstances. He could either disappear like James had planned and never show his face to his family again, or he could take a chance, face them, and try to convince them that he could change—that they could be family again.

He could tell it wouldn't be easy. But he would have to give it a try. He deserved that much.

A deep breath and he picked up his phone again. He called the only person he could think of who would give him a chance to explain. The one person if he managed to win the favor of wouldn't shy away from advocating his case.

He called Carmen.

She answered in the second ring.

"I'm texting you an address. Meet me there. Bring Ronin with you."

A/N: What do you think about Eric?