Chapter Seventy-Nine

Carmen and Ronin had just finished their breakfast when Ronin's phone burst to life. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hm," he spoke gently, eyebrows furrowing as he focused on the voice on the other end of the line. "Does it match with the identity I provided?" He nodded. "Fine. Let her in."

He disconnected the call and stuffed the phone deep into his pocket.

"What's happening?" Carmen asked, hoping he would tell her what the whole conversation was about. For some reason, she could tell it wasn't related to work but to her.

"Oh, nothing," Ronin smiled handsomely, breaking out of his trance, and shook his head, pushing the chair back under the dining table. "Just someone's here to meet you."

Carmen raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. "Someone to meet me? Who is it?"

He chuckled, enjoying the suspense as he closed the distance between them and wrapped his arms around her tiny waist. "Well, you'll find out soon enough." He gestured toward the entrance. "But before that person is here, why don't you give me something to keep me sated while they are here? After all," he nudged his nose up her cheek, teasing her. "We are not supposed to be open about this, aren't we?"

Heat rose to her face, her teeth sinking into her soft bottom lip. She tried to squirm away from him, but of course, he didn't let her. "Ronin. Let me go."

"Come on, don't be shy," he cooed, kissing her gently behind her ear. "Think of something quick before they catch us like this."

"Ronin," But Carmen wasn't about to crack under the pressure. With her hands on his chest, she tried to push him away. Gently, of course. "Let go. That person could be here any moment. The main door is already open."

Ronin couldn't help but chuckle, as he continued to hold her, his fingers tracing gentle circles on her back. "Nope. Not happening until you give in."

"You're such an idiot."

"Only for you."

Carmen held back her own laugh, and let out an exasperated sigh instead, unable to help the small smile that tugged at her lips. "You're impossible."

"That's why you like me so much," he said, looking more smug than he had the right to. She rolled her eyes. "I never said I like you." His lips curved into a playful grin. "But you will. Soon."

"Keep dreaming, Mr. Logan," she said to him before giving him a hard push and watching him stumble away, laughing.

"Fine. But only because—"

"CARMEN!" someone squealed, and the two of them turned to face the main door at the same time.

Molly stood at the doorway, her eyes wide with surprise and one hell of a relief. "OH MY GOD! It's really you. The jerk was right. You really came back."

The sight of Molly did something to Carmen. Seeing her best friend after such a long time, her chest practically exploded with joy.

They both rushed to each other, hugging the hell out.

Once the emotional exchange was over, the two of them finally realized they weren't alone.

Molly was the first one to let out a scoff, her eyes narrowing at a certain Logan. "What? Never seen two friends catching up? Why are you looking so glum all of a sudden?"

Ronin frowned. Was it true or was she just messing with him? Either way, he shrugged it off and took out his phone. "I'll be in the office if you need anything," he said to the two friends before turning to face Molly, his sharp eyes turning sharper. "She needs to rest, so don't tire her out." The way he uttered those words left Molly certain it wasn't a suggestion; the man was serious, and he meant business.