Chapter Fifteen

Carmen awakened with a start, feeling a throbbing headache that seemed to threaten to split her head in two

Carmen awakened with a start, feeling a throbbing headache that seemed to threaten to split her head in two. The sound of the ocean and the shower running somewhere in the distance echoed in her ears, making the pounding in her head worse. She groaned and rolled over in the bed, pulling the covers over her head, hoping to block out the noise.

But then she heard it again—the sound of the shower.

Suddenly, her eyes flew open, wide as saucers. She sat up in her bed, panting heavily, trying to comprehend what was happening. She searched her surroundings frantically, only to feel a sense of relief wash over her when she realized she was in her own suite, and not in someone else's room. Her mind was already clouded with a heavy hangover, and being in a stranger's room would have added to her confusion.

Despite this realization, there was still a puzzle to be solved: why was the shower running in the bathroom?

Was it Simon who had turned it on? Had he taken her back to her room after she passed out by the pool? Had he followed her after she stormed out of his room?

Carmen's heart ached as she thought about it. The conversation from the previous night flashed before her eyes, and she regretted not listening to her instincts and declining to stay on the cruise. Staying had only brought her more pain and hurt. Who would have thought Simon would turn out to be such a liar? The man who had been so kind and accepting of her had a weird connection with none other than Jenna Rivers. The mere thought of it made Carmen feel sick to her stomach.

Carmen couldn't help but wonder about the connection between Simon and Jenna. Why did Simon help her escape from the wedding? Were they in a romantic relationship? Had Jenna somehow convinced him to assist her with her crocodile tears? Despite Jenna's reputation and Simon's shrewdness, it seemed highly improbable. Unlike Ronin, whose childhood love for Jenna had blinded him to her true nature, Simon was far more perceptive. It was impossible for him to fall for someone like Jenna, she thought to herself.

But then again, she couldn't shake off the feeling that maybe she was wrong. Maybe he had just used Jenna like he used her.

There was that saying after all, "Once a liar, always a liar."