Chapter Seventy-Eight

The next day, Carmen woke up with a strange excitement coursing through her. She sat up rather quickly, feeling a surge of tickling emotions spreading beneath her chest. Her heart was at peace, but even then it refused to calm down as the memories of the previous night flashed before her eyes.

Had she really kissed him last night?

Shit!

And did he really agree to keep their affair in a hush until she was ready?

It all felt like a dream though. Maybe it was...

"Good morning."

Carmen almost jumped out of her skin the moment his velvety voice graced her ears. Her eyes turned wide, and her heart raced inside her chest.

"Ronin!" She gasped, clutching her chest as if telling her poor heart to calm down, as she watched the said young man standing at the door, more like leaning against the doorframe. "You scared me."

Ronin chuckled, pushing himself off the doorframe and walking towards her.

"Sorry about that. Didn't mean to startle you." He wore a playful smile, the corners of his eyes crinkling in a way that made Carmen's heart flutter for a different reason.

He sat down on the edge of the bed, moving the sleepy curls out of her face and tucking them behind her ear. His eyes met hers. "Did you sleep well?"

Carmen shivered at the light brush of his fingers against her skin, a small, shy smile touching her lovely face. "Hm. I did. And you?"

He pulled his hand back to himself, sighing. "Not so much."

She couldn't help but frown. "Why? Are you well?" Then, her eyes widened as if she suddenly realized something. "Did you catch a cold? I knew it. You shouldn't have stayed out for so long. It was so cold—"

Carmen could have gone on and on and on, but to her surprise, Ronin never let her finish. His fingers slid under her jaw and skimmed up through the back of her hair until he had her forehead pressed against his. "The reason I couldn't sleep, you silly woman, is because I couldn't stop thinking about you. My brain just wouldn't shut off."

Carmen had never felt so hot before, the way her face burned and flushed to the sweetest shade of pink, it was a surprise she hadn't taken off to somewhere and hide.

"Oh," she murmured after a moment of awkward silence, the concern in her expression transforming into a softer, more affectionate gaze. "Well, that's a good reason, I guess."

He chuckled, the sound vibrating against her forehead. "Yeah, it is. You've got my mind all tangled up, and it's not a bad thing."

"Well, I hope it was good thoughts keeping you up."

He pulled back slightly, his eyes meeting hers with a playful glint. "Very good thoughts indeed."

For some reason, the way he said those words made her face even warmer.

Carmen pulled away from him, sitting up straighter and clearing her throat. "Uh, so...um..." God, she was such a mess! Why did she have to be so embarrassed for literally no reason? It wasn't like she was seeing him for the first time or holding a conversation with him. Then, why? Why was she feeling as if this was all too much for her, as if he continued to tease her like this, she would combust with all the heat gushing through her?

Carmen cleared her throat again, avoiding direct eye contact. "What's the plan for today?"

Ronin leaned back, a grin playing on his lips. "Well, I was thinking we could grab some breakfast first. Then, I have taken a doctor's appointment for you. The team will be here most probably in an hour. They will do some regular tests, just to make sure you're healing properly. After that, I have some work to attend to. But don't worry, I'll be handling them from my home office, so while I do that, you can take a nap or something. After that, I'll come and wake you up, and we can grab some lunch..."