Chapter Fifty-Five

Carmen Price.

Did he just say Carmen Price?

Of course, he did. Why else would she be in Miami, standing right in front of him?

It felt like a joke, a cruel one that hit him square in the gut.

Ronin's frown deepened, his muscles coiling with tension. He turned to face the old man, who appeared to be smiling behind those seasoned lips as if he had accomplished something that seemed unachievable. Ronin had to hand it to him—the old man had managed to drop a bombshell that he wouldn't easily forget.

He gritted his teeth, his voice low and strained. "Care to have a word, Grandpa?"

Grandpa Edgar's smile didn't waver as he looked at Ronin. "Of course, my boy."

Ronin motioned towards another room, his frustration and confusion evident in his body language. He led the way, his mind spinning to make sense of the sudden twist in their plans. He couldn't shake off the shock of Grandpa involving Carmen in all of this. She was the last person he expected to be part of their plan, especially considering their complicated history.

Once sure they were out of her earshot, he turned to face the older man. Hands on hips. "Okay, spill it. What's the deal with her? Why is she involved in this?"

"I know you have a history with her, Ronin. But sometimes, unexpected alliances can be the most effective ones."

"I don't get it," he ran a hand through his hair in exasperation. "Why drag her into something like this? What if she gets hurt? What if they target her too?" The idea of her being endangered sent a shiver down his spine. It was precisely what he had been striving to prevent all this time—to keep her out of harm's way because of his own troubles.

Grandpa Edgar's expression softened. "I've talked to her, son. She knows what she's getting into. And besides, she's not alone in this. We'll be watching out for her."

But Ronin wasn't convinced. He shook his head, pacing the room. "No. She can't be part of this. I don't care what you told her. Just send her back. Tell her to forget about all this."

"You're worrying too much, Ronin." Grandpa tried to reason, but he was interrupted when Ronin abruptly stopped.

"And you're not worrying enough. Can't you see how dangerous this is?"

Grandpa sighed loudly. "I can see you care about her, and I understand your concern. But Carmen is a capable and strong-willed woman. She knows the risks, and she's made her decision. She believes she can contribute, and frankly, I think she can too."

But Ronin wasn't listening, he was too startled to find Carmen standing at the door, having overheard everything.

Grandpa noticed the expression on his face, then turned around and spotted Carmen too.

"Carmen," the old man beckoned her. "We were talking about you just now."

Carmen stepped into the room, her gaze moving between Ronin and Grandpa Edgar. She looked surprisingly calm, her eyes holding a determination that surprised Ronin. He had expected her to be shocked or hesitant, but instead, she seemed resolute.

"I apologize, I didn't mean to interrupt," she said, her voice steady. Then, she turned to Grandpa Edgar. "You were getting a call, I thought you wouldn't want to miss it."

"Ah, you're right. Thank you, my dear." He glanced at Ronin and then back at Carmen. "Why don't the two of you chat for a bit? I'll take this call outside."