Chapter Ninety-Three

Carmen woke up in the middle of the night, wide awake.

She turned her head to look at the other side of the bed and found Ronin sound asleep. A small smile tugged at her lips, and her body hummed with outright satisfaction.

She bit her lip, unable to believe what they had done. Although, after what Ronin had put her through—all the sweet torture that had her body writhing beneath him—she was rather sure the evidence of the previous night still oozed from inside her.

The thought of him thrusting into her made her face burn with hot awkwardness, especially when she could still taste the heavy scent of sex in the air.

Carmen whipped her gaze back to the ceiling, trying to calm down the sudden spike in her heartbeat.

She couldn't help but scoff at their fate. At the time when they were married and had every chance to be a happy couple, they couldn't even bring themselves to exist in the same room. And now, when there was nothing to hold them together—when they had broken all ties after the divorce—these newfound feelings between them were strongly heating up.

It was so weird. She wondered what everyone would think once they came to know.

Not that it was time to worry about that. Ronin and she might have taken a small respite during the chaos, but they couldn't completely ignore it. The truth was still there, burning brighter than anything she had seen before, and they were so close to putting an end to it.

Sucking in a deep breath, Carmen pushed herself up and sat with her back to the headboard. She stared blankly into the darkness, wondering how they could have missed all the signs. She had known something was up with Eric the last time she had seen him at the office. He had been acting strangely after learning about the audit. Could it be that there was something he didn't want them to see?

But how could that be possible? Ronin had told her a few days ago that nothing came up in the audit. Except for a few minor problems, nothing else seemed suspicious.

Then why, she wondered, did Eric look so anxious? What was it that he was worried about?

There had to be something they were missing because if that wasn't the case, then his reaction made literally no sense. She couldn't imagine him being so mad just because she ordered a surprise audit. Anyone who had worked in a company as long as Eric would know that it was well within her ability to order an audit anytime during the year. She wondered what the whole circus was about.

The sound of the rustling of sheets dragged her out of her thoughts, and before she could realize what she was doing, her fingers found their way to his hair, caressing him gently, as if urging him to go back to sleep. Through the faint sheen of the moonlight seeping through the windows, she could see the outline of him. His relaxed face, closed eyes and pressed lips. She could even see the soft furrow between his brows.

A strange feeling that warmed her chest washed over her, tingling the tips of her fingers. Carmen leaned over his chest and kissed the tip of his nose. Despite not wanting to, she didn't regret it when his eyes fluttered open, and he easily moved an arm around her.

"Doesn't seem like I tired you enough," he said in a quiet voice, brushing some loose curls behind her ear. "Wanna go another round?"

Heat once again rose to Carmen's face. "No. Please. No. I'm tired. I swear I am."

She felt his lips spread into a grin. "Come on, just once more. I promise I'll make it worth your while."

"You're insatiable, aren't you?" She jabbed at him playfully, trying to get back up.

"What can I say?" But he pulled her back down, pressing her more into his chest. His dark green eyes twinkled. "You make me insatiable."

Carmen had so much to say, but as his gaze locked onto hers and he rolled them over until she was beneath him once again, words travelled back down her throat. Her mind grew fuzzy and the only thing she could feel and seemed aware of was the deep longing gaping in the pit of her stomach.