Chapter Eighty-Nine

During the entire drive back to Ronin's place, Carmen stayed quieter than usual. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't even realize when the car came to a halt, and they were already outside the mansion.

The bubble of her thoughts burst only when she felt someone running their fingers through her hair. By now, Carmen had gotten used to his touch. Instead of being surprised, she turned and hugged Ronin tightly.

"This is all so messed up," she whimpered quietly, unsure of what she needed to do. "I never asked for this. I don't... I don't want this."

"I know, baby," he was careful when he said that, holding her close and letting her vent. It hurt to see her like this, and he wondered if there was anything more he could do than just being there for her. "I know."

For the next few hours, Carmen and Ronin spent time in his office, still trying to come to terms with what Diana had revealed. As per the deal between her and Grandpa, she had given them the names of the people responsible for the attacks on Willow and Ronin. The only problem was it wasn't the kind of revelation either of them had expected.

"It's gonna break mom's heart," Ronin mumbled to himself as he paced the room, looking restless. "And dad? He's gonna be so pissed."

"What about you?" Carmen asked, and because he hadn't expected that question to come from her, he paused and turned to face her.

"What do you mean?" He asked, a little confused.

Carmen shifted in her chair, trying to sound polite, but she also couldn't hide her curiosity. "You don't look surprised, that's all."

She was right. When he learned who was behind the attacks, surprise or shock weren't the kind of emotions that shook him.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, a habit that betrayed his deep contemplation. "I had my suspicions," he admitted, his eyes meeting hers with a sincerity that mirrored the storm of emotions within. "The way things were unfolding, the hidden agendas—it all felt orchestrated. Maybe not the specifics, but the idea that someone close was involved, it wasn't entirely unexpected."

"So, what are you going to do now?"

"I don't know," he sighed, running a hand through his hair again. "I mean, we still don't have enough evidence to prove they are really behind this. Just because your mom said that doesn't make this a solid case. There could still be some misunderstanding."

"You're right," she couldn't disagree with that. It all could be a load of crap for all she knew. She was still finding it hard to believe anything her mother had said in that room. "We need more proof. Probably a confession."

"A confession, huh?" Ronin echoed her thoughts, his gaze fixed on a distant point as if searching for answers. "That's easier said than done. We're dealing with the people who know how to cover their tracks. If we're going to expose them, we need a plan."

"Well, then we'll make one. That's the least we can do to bring justice to Willow."

Ronin nodded, walking over to her and pulling the chair next to hers, sitting down. He turned the chair to face her, taking her hand in his. "We'll do that. But let's talk about you now."

"What about me?" Even though Carmen knew what he was trying to say, she hopelessly tried to appear oblivious.

"Is there nothing you wanna say about your conversation with your mom?"

But Carmen should have known Ronin never pulled any punches. He was straight as an arrow. Blunt like a knife. She couldn't escape his perceptive gaze, and the weight of his question hung in the air. She took a moment, a breath, before letting her guard down.