Chapter Sixty Six

Eric breathed out a heavy sigh, glaring at the man sitting across the table. The man appeared as cool as a cucumber, unfazed by the words Eric had just thrown at him. It frustrated Eric to no end that, despite everything that was happening and felt out of control, the man in front of him remained unruffled.

How? Eric silently brooded. And why?

"This is getting out of hand," he said, shaking his head and continuing to pace the room as he had been since he heard about the internal audit. It still annoyed him immensely. Not only because he never expected Carmen to be bold enough to make such a significant decision on her own—she was new after all, what did she know about running a company?—but also because she was the same Carmen he was head over heels for. No matter how many problems she created for them, he couldn't bring himself to hurt her. Not like they had done in the past, to all those people who threatened to expose them. No. He couldn't. It just felt wrong. In every fucking way.

The man sitting across from him rolled his eyes, his fingers drumming lazily over his stomach as he sat and watched with a bored expression on his rugged, handsome face.

"Well, of course, it feels that way," the man said calmly, not as anxious or unsettled as the young man in front of him. "If you weren't so weak and had done what I asked you to, this would have never happened."

"No!" Eric's eyes blazed, and before he could help it, his anger flared, and he snapped, pounding a fist on the table. "Getting rid of her is not the fucking solution this time. You can't just do that every time someone creates a problem for us dammit! Killing can't be the only solution."

"Why not?" The man frowned, not at all impressed by the show of anger, but not doing anything about it either. It was as if he was used to Eric's childish tantrums, as if he had seen it all, and now his heart had turned to stone—he just couldn't feel his emotions. "It's quick and it's permanent. It's practically perfect."

"It's—" Eric tried, but words got stuck in his throat. He simply glared, unable to believe what he was hearing. "Are you serious? Do you even hear yourself?"

The man simply rolled his eyes. "Do you even hear yourself?" He scoffed. "You're being loud and fussy for no reason. It's just an audit, for heaven's sake, not the end of the world. Give me the name of the company they called this time—I'll handle the rest. There's nothing in this world that can't be bought, manipulated, or, well, dealt with." He said haughtily, not giving a shit.

But Eric wasn't convinced. "You're still taking it so lightly," he ran a hand down his face, suddenly tired. He grabbed a chair and sat down, facing the man. Dearly hoping that whatever he was about to say would at least make some sense to the man. "When Ronin got suspicious the last time, he started digging, and even after doing everything we could to put a stop to his investigation, he didn't stop. In fact, I think while trying to get rid of him—like you prefer—we ended up giving him more and more reasons to doubt that something was going on under the name of the company. That was the first time you ordered a hit on him. And how did that turn out? He never even showed up at his own honeymoon suite."

That pissed the older man off a little, his thick brows furrowed. "Hey, don't you blame me like that! How would I have known his bride would take off on the day of the wedding, and he would end up marrying that fucking slut?"

Eric gritted his teeth, not appreciating the reminder of how his brother stole the woman he had plans to propose and marry. "Don't call her that. I told you. Never call her that."

The man rolled his eyes yet again but chose to simmer down anyway. He let out another deep sigh before leaning forward and searching for the young man's gaze, who could have been the age of his son, if not for the fact that he never really married.