Chapter Eight One

Eric paced his room, growing angrier by the minute. He couldn't believe Carmen had so willingly decided to go with Ronin. Why would she do that? Didn't she hate him for what he did to her? How could she forgive him so easily? What did he do to earn that kind of trust from her?

He sighed, squeezing the bridge of his nose, trying not to let all such questions overwhelm him beyond something he could handle.

"I think it's time you got over her," James Logan drawled, watching his nephew pacing the living space of his penthouse like a dog who lost his beloved bone. The man was so tired of that lovesick look on the younger man's face, and felt agitated that Eric was stupid enough to get swept away by a stupid emotion like love. Yuck.

Why would someone go through something as torturous as that? Weren't they afraid of being heartbroken? Was it really worth it to commit oneself to one woman when they could have more than one and so many of them all at once?

Damn! If James Logan were to be honest, love was such a waste of time. It did nothing but distract someone from their purpose. And currently, Eric was doing exactly what he hated the most. Wasting his time.

"Just shut up!" Eric snapped, not in the mood to hear anything from the older man. "This has nothing to do with you, so you better keep your opinion to yourself."

James frowned, although he didn't seem to take offence—just a little interest. "What's in that woman anyway? Sure, she's stunning, but she can't be the only one." He rolled his eyes. "Why can't you just, I don't know, pick someone else and forget about her? It can't be that hard."

"It's not that easy either," Eric growled, grounding his jaw and running a hand through his hair. "Since the moment I saw her, I have been captivated by her. Everything about Carmen makes me want to—"

"Makes you want to what?" James asked, growing curious and mischievous all the same. He leaned forward, looking smug.

But Eric was in no mood to satisfy his uncle's stupid thirst for gossip. "Nothing."

James chuckled, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, come on! You can't just leave me hanging like that. What's the big secret? I promise, your old uncle won't judge."

Eric shot him a glare, but James only grinned wider, clearly enjoying the torment he was causing. "Fine," Eric sighed, relenting. "Everything about Carmen makes me want to be a better person. She makes me want to be more than just a ruthless man. But she chose Ronin, and it seems like I can never do anything about it."

James laughed heartily, ignoring Eric's feelings. "You, my boy, have fallen hard. And for what? Love? You should know better than that," he scoffed. "Love is just a distraction. It weakens you."

Eric clenched his jaw, frustrated with his uncle's dismissive attitude "You don't understand. Carmen is different. She's not just a distraction. She's..." He paused, struggling to find the right words. "She's the missing piece that I didn't know was missing."

James rolled his eyes, clearly unimpressed. "You're letting emotions cloud your judgment."

Eric shook his head, frustrated with the lack of understanding. "You wouldn't get it. Just leave me alone."

"Well, my dear nephew, if you insist on going down this path, don't come crying to me when it all falls apart." James shook his head and leaned back in the chair, deciding it was better to talk business than his nephew's inadvisable love life.

Something about Eric's obsession with Carmen annoyed him to the bone. Perhaps he should have just ordered his men to end her instead of scaring her with an abduction attempt. Not that he had heard anything from them after the accident. He knew they were probably dead. If Simon was involved in rescuing Carmen—as Eric had told him—there was no way his men made it alive.