Chapter Three

It was barely 11 in the morning when Ronin stormed into the office chamber of his elder brother and tossed a file in his face

"What the heck are you trying to accomplish?"

Erik Logan cast a lazy glance at Ronin and the paperwork on the table before returning to his laptop. "I'm not sure what you're referring to."

"I think you know damn well what this is about." Ronin snarled, leaning on the table and glaring at his brother, jaw clenched. "Stop pretending oblivion!"

Erik groaned internally, eventually setting the laptop to the side, leaning back in his chair, and giving his younger brother undivided attention. "I'm not pretending to be anything, Ron," there were times Erik wished to smack that needless attitude out of his younger brother, but this was not the time to lose patience. The entire day was ahead of him and he couldn't risk destroying the mood. "You're the one talking in riddles. I wouldn't be this clueless if you spoke like a normal person. Have you thought about that?"

The corners of Ronin's lips lifted in a sneer as his glares grew sharper and darker. "I told you to stay away from the Bakersfield project. Yet, you went to Dad and spewed nonsense. If you're so frustrated with my achievements, Erik, maybe you should ask me how I do it rather than stabbing me in the back."

Erik let out a snort. "It's hilarious that you think I have anything to prove to you."

"The fact that dad named you the project's independent adviser just 10 minutes ago, I take it, has nothing to do with you, right?" Ronin raised his brow. "Which is nothing more than a sneaky way of keeping tabs on me." Sliding his hands into his pockets, he narrowed his dark eyes. "I wonder who even came up with it."

Erik shrugged nonchalantly and simply stared up at Ronin with the same lazy expression. "My guess is as good as yours, little brother. Though I wouldn't exactly say I'm surprised," he replied, rising to his feet, rounding his office desk, and folding his arms over his chest, his gaze fixed on the only other person in the room. "Recently, none of your decisions have benefited the family's reputation. Almost the opposite, in fact. Let's not forget about the shocking divorce." He paused, if only for a dramatic effect. "I think it really upset them gravelly. After all, everyone had become extremely fond of Carmen."