Chapter Twenty Eight

Carmen pulled on the t-shirt with the cruise line logo and the ship's name—one of the articles everyone on the cruise had received in their welcome packages

Beside her, Molly did the same, wearing an identical t-shirt that Jasper managed to get from his room. She tied her hair up and secured it with a cap on her head.

Once Carmen and Molly looked somewhat alike—not exactly the same, but close enough to confuse anyone who might be looking—they both turned to Ronin and Jasper, who were waiting at the door.

"Let's hope this works," Jasper said, crossing his fingers and looking at the two of them.

Ronin let out a sigh. "It has to. Come on, we can't waste time. If Simon realizes I helped Carmen escape, this will be the first place he'll come looking."

"Let me get this straight," Molly said, feeling a bit nervous and wanting to clarify a few things, afraid that she might mess everything up. "The cameras are turned off, and we're going to leave this floor and move to a more crowded area."

"Exactly!" Jasper confirmed. "Simon might be obsessed, but he's not dumb. He won't want to disturb his guests if he can avoid it. We just need to keep him away from Carmen for a few hours until the authorities arrive and we can ensure Carmen's safety. But if he tries anything suspicious, we can split up and throw him off our trail."

Carmen grabbed Molly's hand and turned to face her. She could sense her friend's nervousness. "You don't have to do this. We can come up with another plan."

"Are you kidding me? No. We're doing this. I won't abandon you when you need me the most," Molly said, determined. She turned to Ronin. "Let's do it."

* * *

Ronin held Carmen's hand and watched as Jasper held Molly's. They all stepped out of Ronin's room and carefully looked around. Not many people were lingering in the corridor, and that meant they had to start moving.

They all walked in pairs and stayed cautious of the people around them.

A few couples and lonely bodies that walked past them either seemed to be minding their own business or were too drunk to care. Fortunately, the ongoing pool party worked to their advantage—if they could manage to blend Carmen and Molly into the crowd, they could easily buy enough time to keep Simon and his men distracted.