Chapter Twenty Four

Carmen's body turned to ice when Simon's words hit her, completely baffling her about their meaning

Carmen's body turned to ice when Simon's words hit her, completely baffling her about their meaning. She quickly turned to glance over her shoulder, fixating her gaze on his large hand gripping her wrist tightly.

For some reason, she didn't like the way he sounded.

Dangerous.

A little off.

A voice inside her head told her to run, but her hand was in his possession, and she didn't know if her guts were right or if she had just imagined that first jibe of warning that seemed to be burning on the front of her skull. Her whole buddy was suddenly buzzing, but suddenly all the voices in her head dropped flat.

She raised her eyes from their hands to meet his gaze, and what she watched confirmed her intuition.

Simon appeared unchanged, still as attractive as ever, but there was something unsettling in his eyes—something unhinged—they seemed to be staring at her with a hint of madness.

She swallowed hard and attempted to pull her arm away.

A futile attempt that only led to his hold tightening on her, almost to the point she feared he would snap it into two. She suppressed a whimper.

"Simon!" she snapped, her face flushed as she struggled to suppress the agony and hold back her tears. "Stop it. You're hurting me."

For a moment, she thought she saw a change in his eyes, as if he had returned from wherever he had been. But just as she thought he might release her, she felt a powerful tug, and her body was pulled towards him. His strong arms quickly wrapped around her waist, pressing her tightly against his solid chest.

Carmen remained in a state of shock when the corner of his lips curled into a disturbing smirk. "I have a problem, Carmen," he sneered, sniffing her cheek and emitting a groan. "When I don't get what I want, not willingly at least, I take it by force." He grinned as if he were proud of this revelation, as if his words were some sort of achievement.

Simon," she struggled to create distance, pushing her palms against his solid chest with all her might. However, he remained immovable, as if he were made of unyielding steel. "Let go of me. You're talking nonsense."