Chapter 110

Bullshit!

That's what it was. Everything was. How could...this...any of this...any fucking of this happen? It made no sense at all. How could the little girl she saw growing up right in front of her eyes become someone else's daughter?

It literally made no sense. Nothing made sense.

When Dan refused to recognize her or what used to be between them, Willow choked it up, telling herself that it was fate, and of course, the consequences of toying with time. Even long before Alice convinced her to steal the time-travelling device from Carmen, she knew there would be repercussions. Not that she believed it would really work.

But Alice was hopeful. She wanted to go back in time and bring her daddy back. She wanted her family whole. She was the one responsible for everything Willow did. Then how the fuck could she betray her like this? How could she become someone else's?

Ugh. Without saying another word, Willow stormed out of the mansion and headed straight for where she had parked her car. She dug her hand into the pocket of her jeans, trying to find the key, but returned empty-handed. "What the hell?"

She was losing it, and she was losing it big time.

"It makes no sense," she kept repeating to herself, trying to comprehend the science behind everything that was happening. The worst she expected was for none of what they did to work. But not this. Not this. Not losing the little girl she had loved so much.

Tears welled up in her eyes, and her heart felt like it was being ripped apart.

But Willow suppressed her emotions and tried to focus instead.

No. She would have to figure this out. She would have to find a solution to this problem. Alice couldn't just wake up and call someone else her mommy and daddy. That little girl was supposed to be Ronin and Carmen's only daughter, and it was supposed to stay that way.

Willow paced the driveway, kicking and punching the car whenever she felt hopeless.

The only solution she could think of after an hour of pondering was to use the device again.

She paused, staring at the party in the gardens. It was still going on in full swing. She realized that when she woke up this morning, she didn't really have the device on her.

The realization gave her another pause. She frowned. Then where could it be? It was clearly not with Alice, considering nothing from their original timeline was remembered by the little girl. Could she have dropped it somewhere?

No. Willow would have noticed. She spent enough time in her bedroom after waking up to miss that piece of metal.

"What's wrong, Willow? Lost something?" A voice interrupted Willow's thoughts, causing her to stop dead in her tracks.

She flicked her eyes up and stared ahead, a little surprised to find Diana standing on the front porch. Diana wore a tight pencil skirt, a black shirt, and a blue blazer. Her heels were sharp, clicking against the night as she walked towards Willow.

Willow swallowed and instinctively took a step back. Suddenly nervous, feeling like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Well, she did steal something from the woman, or her daughter, not that it made a difference. So, obviously, her first thought was to assume that Diana had figured it out and was there to confront her. And that was a very scary thought to have.

Apparently, Diana was the only woman Willow could never understand. The older woman was an enigma. Someone with more secrets than anyone Willow had ever met. She did work hand-in-hand with someone like Simon Walsh and had still managed to keep it all hush-hush.