Chapter Seventy-Six

There was no way for Carmen to know what Ronin was thinking, but the desire to understand the thoughts racing through his mind sent little ripples of curiosity through her. She didn't want to disturb him, but she still found herself leaving her room and heading downstairs.

The pool water sparkled beneath the glittering stars, the trees swaying with the cool breeze around the property. Goosebumps exploded across her arms the moment she stepped out of the door, her eyes instantly spotting Ronin at the same spot she had seen him from upstairs.

For a moment, Carmen paused and tried to think it over—think over what she was about to do. Was it okay to interrupt him right now? Would he be irked by her presence?

Sigh.

She knew she was probably overthinking. Ronin had changed. He didn't look at her the way he used to, and he didn't treat her that way either. He was nice to her now. He cared. He was also kind of worried sick about her because if that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have rushed to bring her back the moment she made contact with Molly.

And she was grateful because, even though she should have been delighted to see her mother after such a long time, she felt trapped and unsafe with Simon nearby. Sure, she and her mother had a lot to catch up on, and if Carmen were to be honest, she did want to know where that woman had been all this time—why she left—but the truth was, neither did she have the strength to deal with the hurt that conversation would undoubtedly cause, nor was it time to let her own problems distract her from what really was important.

Speaking of which...

A burst of cool breeze of the night air swirled through her hair and sent a slight shiver down her spine, causing her to wrap her arms around herself. If it weren't for all the painkillers she had been taking, her whole body might have been crazily hurting. But she had just taken the latest dose a few hours ago, so no doubt she felt only the slightest discomfort while walking as she finally decided to move around the pool and see for herself if Ronin was still awake or had already fallen asleep. If he had slept, she would have to wake him up and remind him to go to his room, or else he would catch a cold.

Carmen walked quietly, her footsteps barely making a sound on the cool tiles surrounding the pool. As she approached Ronin, who was still sprawled on the recliner, she hesitated for a moment before gently calling his name.

"Ronin?"

His eyes were closed, the natural light of the night playing on his features, revealing his rugged yet handsome face, those beautiful thick lashes, and those lips upturned into a frown. Carmen sighed quietly, deciding to go back and return with a blanket instead. Ronin looked so calm and soft while sleeping that she didn't feel like disturbing him.

However, she had barely turned around when something warm closed around her wrist. Carmen gasped, turned, and found her heart racing less wildly when she saw it was Ronin's hand and that somehow he had woken up.

"Hey," he replied, offering a faint smile.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" she asked, trying to keep her voice low.

He shook his head. "No, I was just dozing off. What brings you out here?"

Carmen hesitated, glancing at the recliner. "I was going to get a blanket for you. You looked comfortable, and I didn't want you to catch a cold."

A smile crossed his face, the kind that made it impossible for her to breathe. He let go of her wrist eventually, and she didn't want to admit it, but disappointment pressed hard against her chest. "Always the considerate one, aren't you?" He shook his head, his eyes only on her. "Thanks, but I'm alright without a blanket. What about you? Couldn't sleep?"