Chapter 106

[Note: To be clear, this is five years into the future]

Willow woke up from the start.

Her eyes were wide open, her jaw slightly dropped, and her heart pounded like a gong against her ribs.

"What the hell?" She grabbed the alarm clock from the nightstand and almost screamed upon seeing the time. "Shit!"

Then, she shuffled her hands around the bed, searching for her phone. She found it at the foot of the bed. She sprawled on her stomach to check the date. Her eyes widened even more, and her brows rose into her forehead. "Shit, shit, shit."

It didn't take rocket science for her to realize that she was back—back in her timeline. That's when fear, frustration, and nervousness all jumbled up, turning her into one chaotic mess.

Did it happen? She thought to herself, resisting the urge to chew on her nails, a habit she could never get rid of. Did she do it? Did she save Ronin?

There was only one way to find out. But could she? She was suddenly so damn nervous. What if it didn't work? What if it was nothing but a dream? What if she messed it up even more?

Deep breaths. She reminded herself. Nodding and trying to calm down the panic boiling in the pit of her stomach.

Wait. Her eyebrows snapped again. "Why did I wake up in my bed?" She distinctly remembered using the time-travelling device in Alice's room.

Her mind stuttered once more. Wait. Where was Alice? Did she wake up in her bed too? "That would be so weird."

"Willow!" She heard someone yell outside the door of her room, followed by a soft knock on the hardwood. "Come out, honey. Everyone is waiting for you at the breakfast table." It was her mom. She recognized the voice.

"Co—coming, Mom!" She yelled back and finally left the bed.

Willow rushed to the bathroom and took a quick shower.

Ten minutes later, she leaped down the stairs, overhearing the soft conversation at the dining table. The entire house was filled with the familiar and comforting aroma of coffee, pancakes, and something sweet. There was a certain warmth in the air, the kind that she thought she had missed during her time travel. As far as she remembered, Alice and she never stepped into Logan's residence, afraid someone would catch them. It was too much of a risk, a risk not worth taking.

"Here she is," she heard Eric's voice, her handsome brother pulling a chair for himself and giving her a nod before sitting down. He was dressed in a light blue shirt and a pair of grey pants.

Willow flashed him a smile, sweeping her gaze over her dad, who sat at the head of the table, newspaper in his hands. "Don't just stand there, darling. Come on, be done with your breakfast. You have a long day ahead."

Willow didn't know what he was talking about. But then she remembered. Her dad had asked her to join him at the office. He wanted her to show her something. He had brought it up during the dinner last night. And yet, that conversation felt like a lifetime away.

For a moment, she wondered if any of that was even true. Not much difference there was to see. No Ronin. No Carmen. No Alice.

She frowned.

"Is everything alright, honey?" She heard her mom say to her, breaking her out of her thoughts.

"Yes!" Willow shook her head. "Of course. Everything is perfect."

Her mom did not look convinced but she smiled at her anyway. "That's great. Come on, then. Time to eat something."

Willow sighed, apparently disappointed. She walked up to the dining table and pulled a chair for herself, right across from Eric. One of the maids prepared a plate for her, pouring a glass of juice on the side.