Chapter Forty-Seven

The moment Carmen was out of the café, she felt like her knees would buckle under her weight.

God, did she just say all that to him? Did she just...do that?

Her mouth fell open and she brushed a hand down her face as if she couldn't believe it had actually happened. That she had snapped back. That she had been rude and stood her ground in a way she never had.

If anyone knew Carmen, they knew she wasn't the kind to lose her temper that easily. She was the patient one, the one who thought before they spoke, the one to take into consideration the emotions of others more than her own, the one to not want to hurt anyone, no matter the situation.

But Carmen had done what Grandpa had told her to. There was no other choice but to practice the lessons he had given her not so long ago.

After they returned to Asheville, Grandpa dropped her home. But as soon as she woke up after only a few hours of sleep, a car had been waiting outside her home. This time, there was no need for Carmen to question Grandpa's intention. She knew what it was all about. He was preparing her for the new role she was about to take on, ensuring she knew what she was getting into and helping her get ready for it.

And that's exactly what happened. Their lengthy conversation in his room was invaluable. Grandpa provided her with valuable pointers on how to carry herself in the office, the necessary changes to assert authority over others, and most importantly, how not to take anyone's shit. He warned her that some people might talk behind her back, and might question her capability, but he advised her to ignore them and stay focused on what truly mattered.

When Ronin pointed out—ever so bluntly—that she did not deserve to be the CEO, it deeply stung. How could it not? His words made it painfully evident that, in his eyes, she was nothing more than a woman with no value, someone who was worth nothing.

Wasn't that right?

Typically, Carmen would have chosen to walk away in such situations. Engaging with people who were so closed-minded and stubborn seemed like a pointless endeavor. It drained her energy, and she saw no reason to indulge their desire to argue. But while she did have the same plan in mind—to just leave the hell out of his face—she braced herself and gave him the piece of her mind.

It was so not like her, but she couldn't lie that it felt good in a way. To let it all out. And to watch that dumbstruck expression on his face. Shit. It was pure gold. That had to be the highlight of the day she would never be able to forget. Ever. She could tell that he hadn't expected her to clap back like that. He probably hoped she'd just take his crap without a fight.

Carmen took a deep breath, trying to collect herself, and ran her hand through her hair. Despite the scorching sun above her, the air felt refreshingly cool against her skin. The scent of flowers from a nearby flower shop hit her stronger than ever.

It shouldn't have felt so invigorating, but it did. Her heart was pounding in her chest, as if she had done something wrong, yet she couldn't bring herself to feel bad about it. It was such a strange feeling, like she had broken through that safety barrier that always kept her grounded and sane.

Once she put some distance between herself and the damn café, she turned into an alley and leaned against the wall. She noticed her breath was still heavy, her thighs trembling, and goosebumps covered her arms. Something silly was happening deep in her stomach, too, but she tried to ignore it. She couldn't help but wonder if this was how it'd be every damn time she stepped into that office as someone in charge. Would that adrenaline rush always be pulsing through her veins? Keeping her on edge, a constant reminder that she was living in someone else's skin?