Chapter Ninety-Two

Grandpa Edgar had tried to keep his anger in check. He had attempted to be patient and wait for Ronin and Carmen to plan their course of action after learning about the individuals behind the attacks on Ronin and Willow. However, by the time the next morning arrived, he couldn't contain it. His anger and frustration had spiked through the roof, and no amount of blood pressure pills could calm him down.

Joy, the driver, had tried to talk the old man out of his intended course of action, but being merely a servant, he couldn't reason beyond his place. In the end, he nodded his head and drove his master to the address he knew all too well.

Seven years ago, Edgar had transferred this property to one of his sons as a birthday gift. However, on that day, as he stepped into the elevator and waited for the lift to open to the only penthouse in the building, he felt as if he had failed so terribly in raising his kids.

Well, one of them, technically.

The moment he reached the desired floor, with Joy right behind him, his old fingers around the cane tightened. When his gaze landed on his youngest son—James Logan—who appeared to be waiting for him after learning from the reception that his father had come to see him, Edgar grabbed that same cane and started beating the hell out of him.

"What the hell?" James dropped the newspaper he was reading, throwing his arms up in defense, trying to shield himself from the blows. "Dad! What the hell...are you doing?"

Edgar's face was twisted with rage as he continued swinging the cane, not holding back any of the frustration that had built up inside him. The cane struck James a few times before one of the servants finally intervened, trying to separate the two.

"Dad, calm down!" James pleaded, still shielding himself from the blows. "What's gotten into you?"

Edgar, breathing heavily, pointed the cane at James accusingly. "You know exactly what this is about! You...you ungrateful child. How could you do this to your own family? Is this how I brought you up? How did you end up being such a letdown?"

"What the hell are you even talking about?" James was on his feet by now, clutching his arm where the cane had hit him hard. "What did I do?"

Edgar's anger intensified at James' apparent cluelessness. That innocent face... how could anyone imagine his younger son capable of something like this, capable of such cruelty? Willow's face flashed in front of Edgar's eyes, and before he knew it, he raised the cane again and started hitting James once more. This time even harder than before, with more rage.

"Dad!" However, James seemed to have reached his limit with his older man. After a few more unexpected hits that caught him off guard, he grabbed the cane and yanked it from his father. "Calm the hell down! Please!"

Edgar's eyes burned with rage, the veins on his forehead pulsating with anger. "You still have the audacity to act innocent? You..." He attempted to retrieve his cane, but James held it out of reach. "Give it back! Give it back to me!"

"Not until you calm down and tell me what the hell is going on here!" James still appeared clueless, but the way his brows were pinched and his face had twisted into a scowl made it rather evident how much he was trying to be patient.

"Do I still need to spell it out to you?" Edgar snapped, growling and coughing a little. "You let me down, James. You hurt your own family. How could you be so shameless? I never knew I was raising a monster."

That seemed to have rubbed James the wrong way, and before he knew it, he was snapping back. He gritted his teeth and took a step closer to the old man. "You know what? I've had enough of you. You're losing it, old man. Maybe it's time you stopped taking those pills and let nature take its course."

Edgar, trembling with fury, delivered a harsh smack to James. "Don't use that tone with me! I'm your father. Everything you have is because of me. If it weren't for me, you'd be on the streets. Did you forget what I picked you from?"

James clenched his jaw, a certain memory flashing in front of his eyes. "I forget nothing."

"Good!" Edgar pushed James away, glaring. "Because I can't forget that either. The time when you lost everything in gambling years ago. I was the one who reached out to help you. You would have died at the hands of those you owed millions if I hadn't stepped in," he turned on his heels and shook his head, regretful. "Maybe I should have never interfered. Maybe I should have let you learn your lesson. But I couldn't do that, could I? Your mother loved you so much. She couldn't bear to see you live a life full of misery. She begged me to take you back in, to help you and give you a new start. But what a mistake it was, what a huge mistake on my part!"

Edgar felt a sting of tears in his eyes, his chest tightening with pain. He turned around, directing a glare at his son filled with both hatred and disgust. "Your brother was so good to you. So good. Eddie and Jane went above and beyond to make you feel at home, even though leaving home was your own choice in the first place. He generously shared his success, shaping you into the person you are today. And you..." he seethed, grinding his teeth. "You... repay his kindness by hurting his kids? How could you be so cruel, James? How could you?"\

James averted his eyes, his fingers clenched to his sides.

"I've tried to give you every chance to redeem yourself," Edgar muttered, his voice trembling with a mixture of disappointment and grief. "But this... this is beyond forgiveness."

Edgar waited for his son to say something—to refuse that the accusation hurled at him was nothing but bogus. But when James did nothing but stand still, refusing to meet his eyes, Edgar shook his head once more, suddenly feeling exhausted. He reached for the couch and sat down, his legs aching. "I don't care why you did what you did," he breathed heavily, scratching at his chest. "But it's over now. Do you hear me? It's over," he coughed, panting. "Call the police and hand yourself over. They will know what to do with the bastard like you. Joy?"

"Yes, sir!" The driver quickly stood next to his master. "Call the police and tell them everything. This has to end now," he coughed more, pressing on his chest. Edgar grunted when the pain intensified.

Joy noticed Edgar wasn't just emotionally strained but physically too. "Sir, are you okay? You look like you're in pain."

"My chest...." Edgar struggled to breathe. "...it hurts."

Fumbling with his phone, Joy attempted to call for help, but before he could, Edgar's hand fell limp on the armrest, and he passed out.

A/N: Damn, it's all going downhill now :(