Chapter Ninety-Four

The drive to the hospital was rushed and unnerving.

Carmen couldn't sit straight, always shifting and finding her gaze running to Ronin. He seemed to have taken a spot behind the steering wheel, not trusting the driver to go fast enough for them to reach the hospital as soon as possible.

She knew Ronin and Grandpa shared a special bond, so if there was anyone hit the hardest by the news about Grandpa, it had to be Ronin. She felt terrible for him, seeing him gripping the steering wheel tight enough to turn his knuckles pale.

She had tried to talk to him, to assure him and convince him to relax. But Ronin, as if lost in his own head, merely replied with a hum or a nod. That's all she got from him during the entire drive, and as soon as they reached the hospital and he parked the car, he took off without even waiting for her.

Carmen didn't mind. She knew he was worried. She was worried too.

She rushed after Ronin as he hustled through the hospital corridors, his long strides leaving her slightly breathless. The sterile scent of antiseptic filled the air as they reached the floor where Grandpa was being treated.

Outside the emergency room, they found Ronin's dad—Eddie Logan—pacing the corridor, while Ronin's mom—Jade—stood to the side, chewing on her nails.

Eddie looked up as Ronin approached, his face etched with worry. "Thank God, you're here."

"What happened, Dad?" Ronin asked, his voice tense. He was still on edge, more so than he had been in the car.

Eddie sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I... I don't know. They're saying it's a heart attack. I tried to ask, but they rushed him inside." He ran a hand through his hair again, looking clearly exhausted. "Joy brought him to the hospital. He called me when the doctors confirmed that the attack was a serious one."

Eddie glanced at Carmen, acknowledging her presence with a brief nod.

Ronin's face tightened with concern. "Is he stable? Can we see him?"

Eddie shook his head. "Not yet. The doctors are still with him, trying to stabilize him. They'll let us know as soon as they can."

Jade, visibly distressed, added, "We've been here for what feels like forever. I can't stand not knowing what's happening."

Carmen placed a comforting hand on Jade. "We're all here for him, Mom. He'll pull through, you'll see."

Ronin, visibly agitated, glanced between his parents. "I need to know what's going on. I can't just stand here doing nothing."

Eddie nodded understandingly and put a hand on his shoulder, giving him a comforting squeeze. "I feel the same way, son. But for now, we have no choice but to trust the doctors. They're doing everything they can for your grandpa. Let's just hope he wins this fight."

Ronin nodded, but Carmen could tell his mind was elsewhere.

After a few more minutes, she pulled him to the side and voiced her worries. "It can't be a coincidence, right?"

Ronin frowned, his fist clenched. "I've been thinking the same. Something is bothering me too."

"Do you think Grandpa went alone to confront your uncle? I mean, he looked fine when we left yesterday. But he might have gotten angry. He always felt guilty for what happened to Willow, and now knowing that his own son had been behind her condition, no doubt he snapped. He must have confronted him."

Ronin nodded, agreeing with her. "We need to find Joy. He's the only one who can tell what happened."

"I'll call him," she offered, already pulling out her phone. "I have his number. You go and be with your parents. I'll join you as soon as I talk to him."