Chapter Forty-One

The sun was setting and the air had a chill that wasn't there earlier in the day. Carmen sat on her porch, watching her father play with the neighbor's son and their little puppy. Though she was looking at them, her mind felt far away as she silently wondered why life had to be so complicated. She wanted to join them, to laugh and enjoy the simple moments, but her thoughts were telling her otherwise.

It was all so puzzled, dramatic, and unreasonable. She couldn't make sense of it all; why did these same things happen to her time and again? Was she really that easily taken advantage of? Did people think she was easy to manipulate and control? Why was she always the one being sacrificed for someone else's gain? Why did they think so little of her? How had her life spiraled into such a chaotic and tumultuous mess?

And most importantly, how could she change that?

There was no doubt in her mind that she was about to refuse the offer made by Grandpa Edgar. She couldn't take what was never hers to be claimed. As much as it pained her to admit, Ronin was more than capable of running the family business. He had the right education, work history, and passion to take Logan's enterprise to new heights.

Grandpa had always been so proud of Ronin and his achievements; she couldn't help but wonder what led him to take the CEO chair away from his so damn capable grandson. Did something happen that she didn't know of? Did Ronin do something that made Grandpa Edgar weary of his capabilities or intentions?

Carmen wondered, but her mind couldn't take her very far. In the end, she chose not to waste her time on it. Logan's business was not hers to worry about. She should in fact do what she had been striving for the whole past month—stay far away from them. That's all she had to do. That's all.

"Still thinking about the old man?" Her dad's voice was loud and close enough to break Carmen out of the bubble of her thoughts. She jerked her head up and found him walking towards her. The kid was now playing with another kid, the playful golden retriever chasing them around.

"No. Of course," she lied, and instantly knew she wasn't so good at it. She sighed. "I mean, yes. But you know how it is...it's...it's complicated."

Her father took a seat on the steps next to her, his strong elbows on his knees. "Something always is, isn't it?"

The frustration that bubbled up inside Carmen, she couldn't hold it back. "I don't know what he was thinking. Embarrassing me like that. All I wanted was to have some peaceful days before I can think about what to do with my life. But Grandpa Edgar. He just...has to do what he wants to do. You know, sometimes there is no difference between Ronin and him. They both put people into touch spots and expect them to do their bidding."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I'm not doing their bidding for sure," that came out so obvious, Carmen was glad to have something she didn't have second thoughts about. "I don't want any part of them or their business. I just want a simple and peaceful life and I won't let them take it away from me."

"Well, if that's what you want," her dad turned and kissed her temple lovingly. "Just don't work yourself too much, okay? Whatever you decide there's one person who would stick by your side, no matter what. You know that, baby girl, don't you?"

For a moment, Carmen was a kid again. With pigtails and her frock soaked in mud and rain. She nodded. "Thanks Dad."

She leaned her head against his shoulder and he easily looped an arm around her. Protectively. Affectionately. Like he always did when she had a bad day. Or when she felt alone. Or, well, missed her mom.

On the contrary, Carmen always missed her mom. It wasn't easy growing up as a daddy's girl. Even though her father did everything a man could do to give his child an easy and happy life, there were moments when she felt like she was missing out on a lot of good things. Not having a mom gave a lot of cruel kids a reason to tease her, enough to make her come home crying with red puffy eyes.