Chapter 104

Carmen didn't understand. What the hell was going on? How did James manage to get away from Simon and her mom? Did they let him go on their own? Or did something happen after they left?

Her thoughts ran rampant, and she hoped her mom was fine. They might not have been on good terms for now, but that didn't mean she wanted her to get hurt by this asshole.

She couldn't help but ask. "How did you get out?"

It was the question that bothered her the most. Was it possible Simon made some deal with James? But that didn't make much sense either. Her mom would never let that happen. But what if her mom never got a say in the matter? What if everything happened behind her back? Carmen didn't know why her mom and Simon were working side by side, but she hoped quite dearly in her heart that her mom's life wasn't in danger because of her.

James smirked, walking further inside the large room, his boots lazily crawling against the dirty floor. "I have my means," he then turned to Eric. "Eric knows that, don't you, Eric?"

Eric's scowl deepened.

James chuckled. "Oh, come on, don't be mad now. You know I hate it when people show me temper. That's what got your sister killed in the first place."

"You tried to kill her?" Ronin growled before he almost pounced on the man to beat the crap out of him, if not for two henchmen grabbing him and preventing him from making any move. "You bastard. I'll end you, I swear. You better pray I don't get my hands on you, James. I swear, I'll kill you."

James laughed even more, watching his brothers' kids squirm like fish without water seemed to be more satisfying than he thought. It wasn't as if he hated his brother or his family, but he just hated the idea of a family being together. Especially when his own family treated him like some charity.

"This. This exact attitude got your sister killed. She just wouldn't let go," he scoffed, as if he still couldn't believe it. "So damn stubborn. I told her to keep quiet. But she just wouldn't listen. It's not like I wanted to hurt her, but you see, she left me no choice. Even after I did my best to reason with her, she told me to back off and go to hell." His gaze sharpened. "She was about to expose me to your father. She was about to tell him about the drugs and everything that she saw. And the next thing I knew, I lost my temper. Things just got out of hand, you know? If only she had minded her own business..." He shook his head, as if shaking the memory out of his head. "I hope you understand, this is the same reason none of you can leave this place alive tonight."

Silence fell in the room, disbelief in Carmen's eyes. "You're a monster!"

James didn't seem to mind. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"You're a dead man, James!" Ronin snarled, his face red with anger. "You're dead."

Eric tried to jolt off the picture of a beaten and bruised Willow out of his mind. He felt the need to deal with the present circumstances more pressing. His heart ached, but he tried to see through it. "James, don't. You don't have to go this far. Let us go."

"Oh, but I have. And I have to. I hate leaving loose ends. And no one knows that better than you, Eric. It's not personal, I assure you. I'm just doing everything I can to survive."

"You're sick!" Carmen spat, but as if Jenna felt like her presence was being forgotten, she slapped Carmen hard.

"Jenna!" Eric and Ronin barked out together, looking furious as hell.

"Sorry, always wanted to do that," She smiled sweetly as if that would be enough to be forgiven and moved to James. "I'm sorry, honey. But I should leave now. I hope you have everything under control?"