Li Yan's eyes were already unfocussed. He withdrew his hand from the bed post but that hand clenched into a fist under the heavy golden sleeve. "But what?"

"But Consort Shen is also poisoned." The old man said gravely.

Liyi and Jinyu gasped. Li Yan did not know what to feel. His heart was already bleeding furiously. He spoke in a hoarse voice. "Will it harm the child?"

The old doctor furrowed his brows. "For now, no, Your Majesty. But it can be fatal. The baby..."

Li Yan's jaws tightened. "I need both of them safe. Both Shen Nuo and the baby." His voice was very hoarse. His eyes were red at the ends. He looked at Jinyu and Liyi for few seconds before silently looking away.

"How to detoxify the poison?"

"Your Majesty, this poison is not ordinary." The old man replied. "The attacker must have targeted his cultivation. This way, it's easier to deteriorate one's health slowly and painfully."

Li Yan's heart clenched. "What do you mean?"

The old man raised a little poison needle that he had pulled out of Shen Nuo few minutes ago. "Look, Your Majesty, this was caused by this poison needle. It pierced a vital point on the side of his neck. This doen't have any effect on people with higher cultivation. But Consort Shen has a considerably weak cultivation base. This poison affects it."

"Is there no way to remove it?"

"There is. This poison can be neutralized by a stronger cultivation base."

"Would it affect the child's life?"

"If the poison grows, it will. But still it's too early so as to have that of an effect."

Li Yan didn't say anything. He grasped from Shen Nuo's palm and interlocked his slender and pale fingers with his. Shen Nuo struggled slightly as if feeling highly uncomfortable. But Li Yan did not let go of Shen Nuo's palm. It might have looked casual and intimate to Liyi but Zhangsun looked grave. Li Yan was actually absorbing the poison from Shen Nuo to him. 

"Your Majesty." Zhangsun reminded dutifully. "Your Majesty's cultivation hasn't recovered yet."

Li Yan nodded in acknowledgement. "Zhen knows." It was true. He hadn't recovered even a bit. He had been working too much lately and didn't even have time to recuperate back to normal health. But it did not matter him any more. Considering the things he had gone through in his life, he felt blind and insensitive to physical pains. 

An icy coldness was running through his palm, reaching his heart, almost freezing it. He saw in his wrist, the veins turn black. His face drew paler and lips chapped. The familiar pain as if getting his internal organs being ripped apart, slowly rose inside him. 

Fortunately the poison wasn't ordinary, or he wouldn't have been able to absorb it into his cultivation this easily. But he knew it won't be easy for him. His core was shattered and now he was poisoned. He did not know how long he will be able to hide this matter from others. 

He did not want to think too much about Shen Nuo. His heart was in a terrible mess. The moment he heard Shen Nuo was pregnant, his heart was already dead. He was frustrated. He felt bitter. Was it Zhanhua? Might be, he did not know. Even that day at the deserted lane by the alley, he only waited until he saw Zhanhua huddle weak Shen Nuo into his arms and disappear. He did not follow them. Because he knew no matter what, it would break his heart. He pursed his pale lips and closed his eyes, concentrating his mind.

Few minutes later, when he opened his eyes, he saw a faint flush of pink in Shen Nuo's face. Li Yan let go of the hand and suddenly spat out blood. Bloodlines felled down, staining his chest lapels red. Jinyu and Liyi were horror-stricken. The old man gasped. Zhangsun was stunned. He immediately leaned forth, grasping Li Yan by his shoulders. "Your Majesty!"