Chapter 24

Might contain mature content but not too much... (Don't read if you feel uncomfortable...)

(Memories of five years ago... Shen Nuo 11yrs and Li Yan 22yrs).
______________________________________________________________

"You don't have to be scared." Shen Nuo said smiling pleasantly. "I came here to meet His Majesty under his orders. I have something to discuss with His Majesty. I'll be out soon."

The guards still looked reluctant. Though they did not know what an eleven years old boy had to discuss with an Emperor of a state, they looked uneasy. "Prince Shen, this...this..."

"Please..." Shen Nuo begged with puppy eyes. "I really don't have further chances to sneak off my home. I only have a little time. Please let me in. I'll come back soon, ok?"

The guards at the gates really couldn't stand his puppy eyes. They looked furious but still let Shen Nuo in. But they did not forget to warn him beforehand.

Shen Nuo entered into a silent and a peaceful courtyard. Beautifully built pavilions and halls loomed amid random lakes and waterfalls full of lotuses and carps. This place was really beautiful.

He found his way to the residence side himself. He wanted to meet Li Yan and get back the white jade tassel that was snatched off him one years ago...

Meanwhile, the young Emperor visited the chamber of his Empress. He was distressed. It had been one whole year since he snatched the jade tassel from Shen Nuo. But Shen Nuo hadn't come to get it back.

He felt irritated. Could it be that Shen Nuo had forgotten about it? Could it be he doesn't want it anymore? Was he too afraid to come? Or could it be he didn't dare? Li Yan did not know.

"Your Majesty..." Empress Xi smiled softly. She blushed when Li Yan waved his hand and dismissed all the maids in the room.

Li Yan sat himself beside the desk and poured himself tea. His face was cold and indifferent than ever.

"Empress. How are you doing lately?" He asked expressionlessly, sipping the tea.

Empress Xi lowered her head elegantly. "Chen qie's doing fine." She said softly. But her voice wasn't genuine. Li Yan was a person with sharp senses. He sensed the tone difference in her voice and raised his eyes to look at her face. Those eyes were normally unsheathed daggers capable of piercing a soul.

She gulped, and pursed her lips, looking down. "I... I -"

Li Yan slowly got up from his seat and stood forth her. "What do you want?" He asked grimly.

Empress Xi blushed red until her face was burning. She rubbed her fingers nervously beneath the heavy red sleeves of her phoenix robe. True. She had badly wanted something since the day she married him. But she was too embarrassed to ask for it.

But to be honest, her parents were forcing her too. She had no choice but to make her mind for it. So she decided to speak frankly in a different way. She tightened her fingertips into her robes and looked at him.

"Your Majesty, this is the thing. My... my family is... forcing me to have ... have children. I -"

But she immediately stopped speaking when she felt the air around the Emperor drop down by several degrees.

"Empress." Li Yan said in a cold warning voice. "There were some important things that Zhen made clear in our wedding night." He reminded in a gloomy voice.

Empress Xi couldn't help but gulp. To be honest, the Emperor never consummated their marriage. He had not even touched her once. During the wedding night, he had spoken to her coldly about something that she never expected. He had said that he married her only because his Father Emperor forced him to.