Chapter 49

Shen Nuo did not know how many hours he had spent there, sitting with his back leaned onto the jade slab and face hidden behind his knees. He did not want to cry. He clearly was not original Shen Nuo. But he did know why it caused him so much pain. He did not know why he couldn't stop his tears.

At times he would wonder for hours why he felt Li Yan so familiar. It was as if he had known him for a long time and accompanied him for years. As modern Shen Nuo, if someone accused him, he would probably get a little angry. But he did not refuse to admit that if Li Yan gets mad at him, he would feel sad. As for why, he did not know...

            The night must be old. It was very gloomy and even the moon was hidden behind the thick sheets of mists that swept leagues above. Later, it started drizzling. And Shen Nuo still did not get up. He only raised his red face to look at the dark sky that randomly brightened as soundless lightnings flashed. Cold drops of water slapped on his face, like thin sharp needles. They mingled with his tears and felled down his chin, moistening his lapels. He burrowed his head behind his knees again. 

It was cold.... It felt freezing... He wanted to get up but for some reason, he felt very weak. So he couldn't.

His body seemed aching, as if internal organs were being ripped apart. His limbs were slightly shuddering. What was happening? Did he drink too much wine? 

At some moment unknown even to him, his conciousness slowly scattered away. His glassy red eyes unfocussed. His entire body felt lame and fingertips shuddered. When he thought he was going to freeze, a strong palm wrapped gently but firmly around his wrist and pulled him up to his feet. He felt weak. His eyes were closed as he struggled to keep his balance in vain. His forehead hit a sturdy warm chest and a strong familiar smell of sandalwood assailed his nose.

Warm...

Shen Nuo whimpered, feeling his head spin. He hardly heard Li Yan's voice calling his name repeatedly, alarm wrenched within that voice. Dizziness slowly devoured him again when he faintly felt that someone wrapping two strong arms around his knees and shoulders, easily raising him up like a doll. Then everything went dark, then black.

Li Yan's heart was in a turmoil. Shen Nuo's body was freezing cold, like a block of ice. What has happened to him all of a sudden? He brought Shen Nuo straightway into Mingyue Palace and immediately summoned the imperial doctor. Shen Nuo's body was icy cold. His face was deadly pale and lips were chapped and cracked. He had already passed out and wasn't even moving at all. 

Jinyu and Liyi both looked stunned as they stared dumbstruck at Shen Nuo who was lying on the bed. Zhangsun stood by the Emperor silently with a lowered head.

Li Yan sat by the bedside and it was hard to read his expression but his fingers were still sweeping softly through Shen Nuo's wet hair.

"What is it, doctor?" He asked.

The old man checked Shen Nuo's pulse for a long time and was confused. But somehow he decided to spit it out. "Your Majesty, it's also a happy news and also a sad news."

He fixed the glass over his left eye and looked at Li Yan wearily. "The happy news is, Your Majesty, Consort Shen is pregnant."

Li Yan felt thunderstruck. Colour drained off his already pale face. Even Liyi and Jinyu were shocked. How was it possible? Even they both knew Shen Nuo had never spent a night with the Emperor alone. How could he possibly get pregnant?"

The bed post held by Li Yan almost cracked under his tightening fingers, his knuckles nearly going white. He suppressed the mad fire with force and looked at the doctor with red eyes.

"Pregnant?"

The old man did not know anything. It was his normal duty when a consort in a harem gets pregnant, to attend to her needs and cheer up the emperor. He nodded with a courteous smile. "Pregnant indeed. The pulse says so. But -"