Chapter 34

Shen Nuo did not know how much time he had been tortured. Maybe it was hours and hours. Or may be it as just a minute... He did not know. His senses were already scattered. His view was extremely blurry. He did not clearly see anything. He only felt pain...

But -

Suddenly there was a bright flash of golden light. Shen Nuo was blinded by the light and a strong wave of wind hit through passing them. It was such a powerful burst of spiritual energy that Shen Nuo's body went immediately numb.

But he vaugely felt Zhanhua's bite upon his neck loosen. With that, he was vigorously pulled up to a side. His back slammed onto a sturdy chest. The strong smell of Sandalwood hit his nose...

The Emperor held Shen Nuo tightly in his arms and did not know what to feel. His heart sank when he saw the deep teeth marks that had burrowed into Shen Nuo's neck. He gulped. Shen Nuo must have lost a lot of blood. He checked Shen Nuo's pulse in the wrist. It was very faint. Li Yan's heart was in a mess. How did Shen Nuo loose this much blood? He was only a few seconds late.

By this time, Zhanhua wasn't actually in his senses. He only felt his comfort getting disrupted, his only source of energy getting forcefully removed. His amber eyes shone with a vicious light. He shook his head furiously, bore his blood stained fangs and attacked.

It was when Zhangsun, the personal bodyguard of Li Yan returned in search of him, hurrying through the trees. But Zhangsun's eyes widened. He froze stupified. "Your Majesty! Watch out!" Zhangsun was too far to help.

Li Yan did not know how or when, because when he looked back, over his shoulder, he suddenly saw that there was a sharp dagger in Zhanhua's hand. His eyes widened. Zhanhua drew towards the both of them at lightning speed.

Li Yan's heart stopped beating for a moment. Blood left his face. "Zhanhua!!!" He yelled. But it was too late. Li Yan could only cover Shen Nuo with his body, shielding him from the deadly attack from behind.

The dagger pierced right through the back of Li Yan's left shoulder. Li Yan's eyes teared in pain. Blood flowed down covering his shoulder and stained his golden robe red.

He turned around and kicked Zhanhua's chest with his boot, triggering his terrifying martial spiritual energy. Waves and waves of spiritual energy rippled off his foot like molten glass. Zhanhua was thrown away in the pressure. His back slammed onto a pine trunk and he slid down to the foot of the tree. He groaned in pain.

Zhangsun looked lame. "Your Majesty! The wound!" He hurried to the side of Li Yan immediately.

Li Yan slowly pulled out the dagger off his shoulder, gritting his teeth. The pain was piercing. "It's fine!" He said looking at Minister Zhanhua who was also in pain.

Li Yan's eyes were furrowed as he stared at Zhanhua in disbelief. He indeed realized what was wrong with Zhanhua. It was that this happened too quickly in a moment he expected it to happen in the least. And he never expected Shen Nuo to get messed up in this.

The actual power that Zhanhua wielded as a half human and a half dragon was too much for him to control at times. At such moments when he loose control, his powers would naturally tend to run amok and he would loose his senses completely... Specially on full moon nights...

Zhanhua got up again, his whole body releasing some kind of a dark murderous aura. Blood flowed down the corners of his mouth and the twisted veins at his forehead bulged and convulsed. His amber eyes flashed in a dangerous light. It was a frightening sight. No one would have believed that this person was that calm and patient minister who always wore a gentle smile...

Li Yan knew that at this moment, no matter how much he try to draw Zhanhua back to his senses, he couldn't do it without suppressing the evil energy inside him... Zhanhua attacked again.