Chapter 37

Since that incident happened at the thicket, Zhanhua changed completely. He never smiled after that. He was in a terrible mess. He knelt outside the Court Hall with a lowered head.

On the other hand, the Emperor turned a blind eye. He did not care at all. He still remembered what a foul soul was hidden behind that handsome and innocent mask. Forget it since it was something that happened in the previous life. But he could not let him go for hurting Shen Nuo. Is letting him go without killing not already being merciful enough?

But the Court Officials knew nothing of this matter at all. They were highly confused. But they dared not inquire the matter further. The Emperor was in a really bad mood these days. They saw their conflicting gazes with each other and could only shut their mouths.  

So every time the court was summoned, they would silently pass him by and enter the hall. Li Yan did not seem to care even if an important minister like the Minister of Revenue was absent inside the Court. What the officials couldn't understand was what kind of a grave mistake Zhanhua must have committed to warrant this sudden coldness from the Emperor.

It rained heavily and thundered during the night. But Zhanhua didn't speak a single word. No matter how much the guards guarding the entrance of the Court Hall pleaded him to leave, he refused.

The third day morning, he was coughing violently. Still he did not get up. His face was pale. He was weak. But he would not get up. He wanted the Emperor to forgive him for his mistakes. He was loyal. He did not want to get the Emperor mad at him.

Besides, when such a serious matter had happened, still the Emperor not only did not punish him, he also helped him to unseal his core.

Zhanhua had a terrible guess in his heart. Could it be that, the Emperor had known his identity even from the beginning?

Zhanhua felt lost...

The next day early morning, he barely had the power to keep his head straight. His straight back was rigid but his head was lowered unusually. His dress and hair were drenched by the gentle rain from the last night. Water drops drooped down the scattered hair at his temples and felled down drop by drop, staining the stony floor with wet marks. He sniffed once or twice and coughed out in a horse voice.

Suddenly a pair of black leather boots came to his slightly blurry line of sight followed by the hem of familiar golden silk. Zhanhua's eyes widened. He bowed his head and pressed his forehead against the cold stony floor.

"Your Majesty!"

Li Yan looked cold and hateful to the extreme. "What are you waiting here for, Zhanhua?" He asked in a gloomy voice. "What will other ministers think of Zhen when they see you kneeling in the public like this? Do you want them to think that Zhen is exceptionally hard on you, or do you want to announce to the court that you are our biggest enemy?"

Blood left Zhanhua's face. He felt as if stabbed. Why didn't he thinks of it before? He was too blind by guilt that he forgot this matter completely. His behavior was alarming...

He immediately got up but collapsed down at loss of energy. He lowered his head in embarrassment. "Forgive me, Your Highness!"

Li Yan didn't look moved in the least. He narrowed his phoenix eyes even darker and leaned forth to whisper in a frightening voice.

"From this onwards, Zhen hopes you won't dare to cross your limits. Just remember two things! Never think of betraying Zhen. Secondly, don't ever think of touching Shen Nuo again. If I catch you doing either of these, that will be the day you die!"

Then left coldly and never looked back at him. He had no time to spare for ones like Zhanhua right now.

He was busy again. The Spring Hunt was coming and he had to check the arrangements himself.