Chapter 07

It was four in the morning. Emperor Yanlong raised his head from the memorial he was reading. "You're late!"

His personal bodyguard Zhangsun bowed grimly and his icy cold voice spoke. "This bodyguard was busy with something else so he got late."

"Alright!" Yanlong said, turning back to the memorial. "What did the Imperial Physician say?"

"He said since Consort Shen felled into the Ice Lake when he was already running a high fever, it's possible for him to have a memory loss after that. It can cause him to temporarily forget everything around him at times."

The Emperor furrowed his brows. "He clearly didn't recognize Zhen at that lane. But after Zhen summoned him yesterday night, he seems to suddenly remember Zhen and even recognized Consort Lian. It's possible..."

Zhangsun looked thoughtful. "Perhaps Consort Shen is trying to.."

"Forgot why he jumped into the Ice Lake? It was because Zhen refused to accept when he tried to convince Zhen that he didn't poison Consort Lian." Yanlong said narrowing his eyes. "That being the case, would you still think he would use such despicable methods like playing fool to draw Zhen's attention?"

"He's from the General's bloodline." Zhangsun said quickly. "Of course it's impossible for him to come up with such despicable ways. Then his temporal memory loss is not fake!" Zhangsun gasped. "Then -"

"Yes. It wasn't Consort Shen that poisoned Consort Lian." Yanlong said thoughtfully. "It was Zhen's ignorance for not pursuing the matter further and causing this trouble."

Zhangsun looked at the Emperor. "But-"

"How does Zhen know right?" Yanlong said diving Zhangsun's thoughts. "Zhen does not know who poisoned Consort Lian yet. But it surely is not Consort Shen. Zhen is personally investigating it."

"Then how is Your Majesty going to make up for the one month long grounding that Consort Shen had already spent?"

Li Yanlong rolled his long and alluring dark eyes coldly. He still had kept something hidden. He was also very angry though he was not that foolish to display his wrath. The day before when he asked Minister Zhanhua for a shift to the palace, he clearly felt it.

He clearly felt that Shen Nuo was hiding under the couch where he was sitting... What was Shen Nuo doing inside Zhanhua's sedan?

Forget that too. He hid his anger since he wanted to see how Zhanhua wanted to deceive him. So when they arrived the Palace, he thanked Zhanhua for the shift and pretended to walk out casually toward his own residence.

But halfway, he swiftly changed the directions and disappeared. Taking hide behind some tall bushes near Mingyue Palace, he really saw Zhanhua secretly carrying Shen Nuo using his qing gong skills. And they were so ambiguously close...

Yanlong gritted his teeth. He moved his freezing gaze towards his subordinate. They were suddenly cold and frightening.

"Release Zhen's Imperial Decree personally to Mingyue Palace and lift Consort Shen's confinement. Let's see what he's up to. I need you to report his each and every move!"

Zhangsun nodded grimly.

"And-" Yanlong picked up his brush and dipped it in the ink. He wrote several characters in a dignified manner, displaying his majestic and lordly handwriting. He blew on the ink and rolled the piece of parchment himself. "Pass this personally to Consort Shen."

"Yes!" Zhangsun received the letter with both his hands without further inquiry. Then he left the Imperial Study.

One mile away, Shen Nuo sneezed crazily. He kicked away the quilt and struggled out of the bed before breaking into a row of sneezes again. "Who the hell is blaming me!!?" He yelled cursing under his breath.

Liyi who heard him scream, hurried into the bed chamber looking apprehensive. "Imperial Doctor said master to rest more!" She said guiding him back towards the bed.

Her mood hadn't been that good since the moment the Imperial Doctor said Shen Nuo will be having temporal memory losses. She pouted her mouth feeling lost.

No wonder her master was behaving strange since the day he felled into the Ice Lake... "Master, you'll recover soon, don't worry! Liyi will make the medicines that the doctor prescribed everyday so that master can recover quickly."

Shen Nuo stared at her in disbelief as if he had seen a ghost. "I told you once! I don't want to drink that thing, Liyi!"

Liyi looked furious. "But how can master recover if you don't take them?"

"Can't drink because it's bitter!"

Liyi pursed her lips lowering her head sadly.

"..." Shen Nuo facepalmed, feeling a headache coming on.

Liyi, you fucking have to understand that I was pretending infront of the doctor! If I drink that thing without any cause or reason, I'll really have a memory loss!!! You don't have to care about me. I'm a doctor! I know how to take care of myself!

But Liyi couldn't hear him speak this. So she was genuinely concerned. She looked helpless.

It was suddenly when Shen Nuo's personal bodyguard Jinyu barged inside looking excited. He was a handsome twenty years old lad who was trustworthy, also a victim of the dark times as the novel mentioned. "Master!" He squealed in delight.

Shen Nuo raised his brows. "Jinyu?"

"I brought it!" Jinyu pulled out a little folded parchment from his chest lapels and handed it over to Shen Nuo.

It was early that morning even before sunrise that Shen Nuo sent out Jinyu into a medicine store. He asked Liyi to prepare some Aloe Vera too.

And now, he carefully unfolded the piece of paper and smelled the white powder like content inside. A malicious smile spreaded across his lips. His eyes shone brightly, full of naughty intentions.

"Liyi, mix this with the thing I asked to to get prepared!"

Liyi was confused. But still she obediently listened. She took the paper carefully and disappeared into the kitchen.

However, Jinyu looked thoroughly excited. Specially after he noticed the new change in his master, he was very delighted.

"Master! What was in that paper? It smelled so aweful!"

Shen Nuo smiled. "A treat for a guest!"

"Which guest?"

"You'll sooner know. Jinyu, help me get dressed up! Let's go to the courtyard! We shouldn't keep our guest waiting for too long."

Fifteen minutes later, Shen Nuo sat inside the open pavilion by the lake side while Liyi brew tea. The dense morning mist was cold and it carried the refreshing fragrance of lotuses that loomed off the slightly lapping glassy waters of the lake. A little waterfall cascaded down by the side of the lake from a taller moss clad greeny cliff. The sight was breath taking.

Shen Nuo stretched out his hands lazily and imitated a (intensional) slap across Jinyu's face. Then he pretended to be innocently amused. "Oh? You were standing beside me?" It was as if Jinyu had never existed.

Jinyu looked at his master speechlessly. His master was becoming more and more ...

Liyi smiled bringing a wooden tray with three cups and poured tea from the kettle. They all sat for a morning tea. Shen Nuo had personally asked his maid and bodyguard to drop the courtesy when they were alone. There was no difference from brothers and sisters between them.

But even before they could sip the tea, Liyi gasped. "Master look!"

Jinyu turned back to look and saw a tall slender figure walking towards them. Guessing from the figure, that person had to be a woman. But she was entirely clad in a deep raven cloak hiding her figure. Her face was shadowed by a hood over her head. She walked straightway into the pavilion and stood forth Shen Nuo.

Her air sensed a touch full of hostility. Jinyu immediately unsheathed his sword and and pointed it towards her. "Who are you!!?"

The figure didn't move.

Shen Nuo didn't even look at her. But he smiled sweetly. "Consort Lian, you're here."

🌸. 🌸. 🌸. 🌸. 🌸.