Chapter 36

WARNING: MAY INCLUDE SENSITIVE CONTENT...
VERY VERY IMPORTANT! DON'T MISS THIS CHAPTER.
________________________________________________________________

That cold night, Li Yan sat on a rock by the lake and felled into deep thought. His heart was in a terrible mess. In his last life, he messed up everything because of his arrogance. He lost his beloveds one by one forth his own eyes.

His parents died. Xi Jiu died. Zhangsun died. Shendu died. Even Minghe died. He could not save even one of them... And those whom he trusted with his life betrayed him at the end. He felt so frustrated.

Yes. He shared the memories of his previous life. No one would have believed it. He still remembered everything clearly.

In his previous life, everyone thought he was ruthless. Only he knew what burdens he bore.

He knew when exactly the already chaotic relationship between him and Shen Nuo shattered. That was the day Li Yan prisoned Zhanhua...

Zhanhua used to be a devoted official in the court who loved his people and the country. Li Yan used to trust him. But with time, Zhanhua slowly changed after gradually learning his true identity and became too wilful.

Li Yan caught the change sooner. At first he was too confused. But later he knew it was not for good. He warned Zhanhua for several times. He endured it until the moment he got to know that Zhanhua was secretly communicating with Xian Yan and plotting to weaken the state's power of Li Yang...

Li Yan was infuriated. He was the Emperor of Li Yang. The safety of his empire mattered him the most. So he immediately arrested him. But still he didn't announce Zhanhua's true identity to Li Yang. To Li Yang, Zhanhua was their biggest enemy.

Though Zhanhua already had agents amid the ministers who secretly helped him, yet the majority was still those who were loyal to Li Yan. If by any means it was revealed Zhanhua was the Crown Prince of the enemy state, Li Yan would be forced to kill him.

With all Zhanhua's faults, Li Yan still did not want to kill him. He wanted to give Zhanhua a second chance for his mistakes. Because once he used to serve him wholeheartedly.

But he couldn't release Zhanhua in fear he would do something rebellious. So taking Zhanhua's relationship with Shen Nuo as a reason, Li Yan continued to prison Zhanhua meanwhile silently clearing the rebellious agents inside the court one by one.

Shen Nuo did not know what was happening from beneath. He only saw Li Yan's strong hate towards Zhanhua... He went almost crazy the day he got to know that the Emperor personally killed Zhanhua at the prison.

But what actually happened was Li Yan faked the death of Zhanhua and set him free. For the sake of all the services Zhanhua had done to him, he asked Zhangsun to personally escort Zhanhua out of Li Yang in secret.

That cold night, Zhanhua repeatedly thanked Li Yan and said that he would flee back to his mother country and would never be a threat to Li Yang.

Li Yan believed him... So he set him free. This truth, he couldn't even reveal to Shen Nuo. This was a secret regarding two states. He cannot reveal it as he wished. But it only made things worse for him. Shen Nuo's hate towards him became more and more visible.

But Li Yan still loved Shen Nuo like before. He did not know how to show it. Everytime he went to Shen Nuo, Shen Nuo would look at him coldly and those eyes had hate. Li Yan stopped visiting him after that.