Chapter 27

(Continuation of the last chapter... That very evening...)
______________________

Meanwhile, fourth brother of Shen Nuo, Shen Hao was drinking wine on the kitchen roof of General's Manor, looking at the fiery red sun that was setting. He suddenly saw Shen Nuo enter through the back door. Shen Hao couldn't help but feel amazed. When did this ancestor start using the back door?

Shen Hao's brows immediately furrowed. The moment he saw his little brother stagger through the back door, he knew something was terribly wrong.

Shen Nuo was raised amid a shower of love. He rarely had a frightening experience before. He never did anything wrong. He never lied either. So whenever he rarely did, it was easy for Shen Hao to know. But now when Shen Hao looked at Shen Nuo clearly, he was shocked.

He examined Shen Nuo sharply. Shen Nuo was walking uncertainly and it looked as though he was very weak. His face was drenched with sweat and the curtain of hair that felled by the sides of his face had almost sticked into the skin. His lips were swollen red and almost ruthlessly scratched. His moist eyes were red too. His dress was slightly disheveled.

Shen Hao was speechless. He was not like Shendu. He often ran around and knew many things that Shendu didn't know. He did not want to see further to know what must have happened.

The back door was where the servants and maids of General's Manor normally used. Shen Hao did not want anyone to see his brother in this state.

He did not speak a word. He directly leapt down the roof startling Shen Nuo to scream.

"Fourth brother!" His hoarse voice convulsively shuddered. He tried to slip away.

But Shen Hao grasped from Shen Nuo's little wrist and quickly pulled him into his residence side at the west corner of the manor.

Meanwhile Shendu was in his room. Back then, he was only eighteen. He hadn't become the Grand Martial yet. He was a second ranked General that guarded the Imperial City...

He sat silently with his head burried in his palms. The desk forth him had piles and piles of military report and documents to be checked and approved. But he was simply in no mind to do it.

His heart was in a terrible mess. He just happened to accidently unearth a shocking secret of his father that can get their entire clan exterminated if the secret is out. His old father, the Grand Martial who was meanwhile at the Northern Border Fortress had actually murdered the former Emperor, Li Yan's father!

Not only him, it had been Shendu's dad who had killed the Empress Mother of Li Yan as well as Li Yan's little sister! How could Shendu not be shocked? The most stunning truth was that his father was next going to murder Li Yan...

Li Yan was the most capable ruler Shendu had ever seen. Young Li Yan rode to battle when he was fifteen, rallied his armies, guided them and annexed seventeen kingdoms from the clutch of unjust tribe leaders that had originally belonged to Li Yang.

He might look cold. But he loved his country like his own life. He protected and cherished his lands and innocent lives. He never did anything against his country. He was a born leader.

But, how can Shendu stop this from happening? He was in a turmoil. One was his beloved father who doted him the best. The other was his master whom he should served wholeheartedly...

His head felt as if going to explode. He angrily swung his arm and the piles of memorials swept away and scattered on the floor along with several porcelain items that shattered with a deafening noise.

It was suddenly when the door of his room opened unbidden. Shen Hao's annoying face peeped inside. "This is not Northern Border Fortress, this is General's Manor!"