Chapter 46

Shen Nuo did not clearly remember what happened that day. He only knew what Jinyu and Liyi had said. That evening, Zhanhua had safely brought Shen Nuo to Mingyue Palace, right under the nose of the Emperor.  Shen Nuo was angry, also feeling lost. 

He clearly remembered everything that Zhanhua told him at the deserted lane. Zhanhua had drastically changed since that moment that incident happened at the thicket. He had become really daring. If this continued, Shen Nuo knew in this life, Li Yan would really kill him. 

So for another two days, Shen Nuo repeatedly ignored Zhanhua. He once sent a letter pleading mercy for being bold that day. But Shen Nuo had coldly asked Jinyu to return back the letter to the owner. Shen Nuo did not see Zhanhua after that.

Another two days later, news spread that Grand Martial Shendu had returned to the Capital with the Mongolian prince in captivity. This caused a great blow upon the twin Mongolian princesses, specially Consort Sagangui. When Prince Altai was brought to the Palace, he was immediately thrown into the prison and Shendu went to the court to report to the Emperor.

Three hours later, the court was dismissed and Prince Altai was sentenced to death within a week. And Consort Sagangui who heard this at Lixian Palace, lost her conciousness in shock and collapsed down, knocking her head onto a pillar.

She bled badly. Shen Nuo went to meet her immediately after and bandaged her head. Consort Sagangui couldn't help but cry from morning until night. But she didn't utter a word. Shen Nuo was also silent as he treated her wound. Her sister Khutulun was also by her side.

Shen Nuo remembered the day Sagangui cramped her foot for the sake of saving him from the clutch of the Empress. Shen Nuo felt frustrated. His heart wasn't something which would easily move. But that morning, when he saw her weep, he really felt sad.

When he was done with the gauzes and was about to leave Lixian Palace, Consort Khutulun followed to see him off. But when they reached the gates where Sagangui couldn't see, she knelt down forth Shen Nuo, ignoring the gasps of her maid and the guards.

Shen Nuo was shocked. "No! Don't!"

Khutulun looked at him with eyes full of glassy tears.

"Big brother Altai... He... he... people love him so much. He's the best prince and the ruler that the Mongolian royal family had after centuries... Little brother Shen, all the Mongolians venerate him and respect him. Many princesses wooed him. But my sister was the only person who won his heart. My sister is the only person who deserved him. But she was forcefully married here. Brother Shen, he attacked here because of her. Please! I beg you. Help him!"

Shen Nuo felt lame. "How can I?" He asked in a weak voice. "I'm just a consort..."

But Khutulun looked at him with hope in her eyes. "You're the only person who is close to His Majesty. Please pester him. I beg you!"

"You get up..."

"Promise me first!"

Shen Nuo was speechless. That cold morning, he silently left without answering to khutulun who also cried.

Of course Shen Nuo knew this tale before hand. The novel mentioned before about the affair between  Sagangui and Altai. They were already bethrothed when she was forced to marry Li Yan...

That evening, Shen Nuo visited Emperor Li Yan at the Imperial Study.

Li Yan was busy with reports. He did not even look at Shen Nuo. But if Shen Nuo had looked carefully, he would have seen Li Yan's hands almost tearing the brim of the report he was reading.

"Li Yan.."

"Yes?"

"Are you free now?" Shen Nuo asked tentatively.