Chapter 47

Li Yan repeatedly ignored Shen Nuo for the whole next day. Shen Nuo was also in a terrible mess. He did not know how the Emperor always know what he did. Anyway, the reason for the strange anger he held when they were at the Study was cleared. So actually the Emperor knows everything already.

Shen Nuo also withdrew back to his quarters silently. He did not cause troubles anymore. The palace was also silent and gloomy. No one spoke to each other pleasantly or held banquets as usual. Consort Sagangui was seriously ill so that Li Yan personally had to send the imperial doctor for her care. And Prince Altai was to be beheaded at the public platform at Lincheng six days later.

And strangely, there were some serious preparations carried out by the eunuchs and the maids of the Palace. Long bright red curtains embroidered with golden threads in arts of a dragon and a phoenix were hung everywhere around the palace. It looked as though the Emperor was busy with something private. He was only seen during the court sessions but disappeared soon after. 

No one knew the reasons for this except the trusted aids of the Emperor. No one went prying over this either, since they loved their necks. But Shen Nuo wasn't dumb. He looked grave and pale. He had a terrible guess in his heart but he didn't dare to think too much. How can it be that way? Li Yan was a monster, impossible... 

Since that day they fought at the Study, Li Yan had not summoned him back, until that one cold evening, Jinyu suddenly brought the news that was newly released by the Emperor.

"Master!" He yelled in delight. 

Shen Nuo felt his heart beating wildly. But he ignored the sensation with some force and pulled his cold face, forcefully against his heart.

"What is it?" He asked darkly. 

Jinyu pouted like a five years old child. "Master, now what's up with that attitude? This is happy tidings! You know? The Emperor had personally decided to remove Consort Sagangui from the harem since she repeatedly begged the Emperor to release Prince Altai!" 

Shen Nuo gasped in horror. "She did that?"

Liyi nodded. "Yeah, I heard the incident too. She had just barged inside the court during the court sessions and had cried kneeling infront of His Majesty's feet asking to release the prisoner. She was never a person who would do something like that... Honestly I feel sad for her."

Shen Nuo felt as if he was struck by lightning. "When did that happen!!? Why didn't you tell me???"

Liyi and Jinyu lowered their heads. "It happened at the court yesterday." Liyi said anxiously. "We didn't tell you because we thought you would..."

Shen Nuo was so angry. "I would what???" He glared at his maid. He was shaking in his anger now. It's fine if Li Yan wants to vent over Altai but what did Sagangui do? She was purely innocent! Why did Li Yan have to embarrass her infront of the court like that? No, he needs to talk to Li Yan...

Shen Nuo angrily got up from the couch he was lying and pulled his dress over. But Jinyu pulled him back with an anxious grin.

"Calm down! Master, I'm not done speaking yet!" Jinyu said quickly, broadening his grin. "Since Consort Sagangui admitted she loved prince Altai infront of the whole court, the Emperor will officially remove her from her post as a wife of him, and marry her off to Prince Altai day after tomorrow! Cheers! A marriage is coming!"

Shen Nuo felt as if stabbed. He grasped the nearby pillar, feeling lame. Was he hearing things right? Was Li Yan someone who would do something like this? He thought Li Yan was still his merciless arrogant self like it was in his previous birth. But now... He gulped as a strong sense of guilt slowly devoured his heart.