Chapter 31

(Last chapter with memories... Three years later after the birth of Crown Prince... Li Yan is twenty five and Shen Nuo is fifteen.)
_______________________________________________________________

Shen Nuo was under a peach blossom tree heavy with pink and white blossoms. He was very tall and slender now, touched with a youthful beauty that none possessed in the Capital. His hair was long and sleeky and his dress was white and charm as usual. He was smiling slightly as he watched pink petals descend amid the soft and gentle winds.

Forth him was an enormous lake with many lotuses and lilies. The morning was cold. Suddenly a person came and stood beside him silently. His robes were golden and that person was extremely tall and majestic.

Shen Nuo had grown up. He did not panic. He was a lot calmer. He did not turn to the side to look at the person. "Your Majesty?" He said in a soft and a pleasant voice.

"Hmm." Li Yan acknowledged him with a low voice. His face was cold than ever. All these three years he had been thinking too much. He messed up everything because he was too wishful. Many of his beloved left him one by one. His parents died. Sister died. Xi Jiu died.

And still he failed to find out their murderer. He did not want to cause any trouble. He was very sad. But he did not want Shen Nuo pulled into the harem and get him harmed too.

So he finally decided. He decided to live the rest of his life without marrying. He swore himself to protect the Crown Prince to ensure the future of the throne oneday. He reluctantly decided to let go of his desires.

"Zhen came here today to retract the Blood Promise." He said grimly in a determined voice.

Shen Nuo didn't say anything. He continued to look at the lake with a slight smile.

Li Yan pursed his thin lips. "Zhen knows he is wrong. He forced you against your will. He came here to ask for forgivings. Zhen knows it isn't enough. So Zhen will do anything that you say. What do you want?"

Shen Nuo's smile broadened. "Fourth brother was right. You're not as devilish as you seem to be."

Li Yan was startled. What was wrong with Shen Nuo? He creased his brows. "As long as my Blood Promise is given to you, you cannot marry anyone in this life. Zhen wants to take it back. You can marry any person that you like. Zhen will promise to hold a grand wedding for you in the palace."

Shen Nuo looked at Li Yan calmly. "Your Majesty. A good gentleman shouldn't take back what he had given. Isn't it inappropriate to do so? That was the first lesson Your Majesty taught me ten years ago."

Li Yan was too muddle headed to realize the meaning behind those words. He only understood Shen Nuo refused him. He drew colder. "I'm doing this for your own good. You are grown up. You must understand what I mean now." He looked at Shen Nuo meaningfully.

But Shen Nuo didn't seem to be taken back even a bit. He faced him strongly and spoke in a gentle voice that was pleasing to the ear. "Your Majesty wants to retract back the Blood Promise that was given to me. But can Your Majesty return back the chastity that I lost to you?"

Li Yan was stunned. He opened his mouth but did not know what to say. It was true. It was he himself who forcefully pulled Shen Nuo into heat for the first time some three years ago. After a long time, he spoke hoarsely. His face still looked cold and freezing. "Zhen asks forgivings."

"They are just words, Your Majesty. They no longer hold weight to me. I don't believe them."

Li Yan however looked irritated. "You must understand, Shen Nuo, you are talented. You're skilled in Martial Arts and lore. It would be a waste if you enter the harem. Zhen will personally enter your name into the state's examination. You'll be given a high post if you are talented."