[CH10] CHAPTER 48

A hushed murmur of concern rippled through the hall as the attendees processed the weighty revelation just delivered by the head of the council.

Tension and apprehension hung heavy in the air, as the gravity of one of their own betraying their trust began to sink in amongst the gathering.

Despite the worried expressions of the crowd, both Mako and the regent remained unfazed by the news, displaying a remarkable calmness in the meeting hall.

As murmurs began to intensify, the council head swiftly intervened, requesting order from the crowd. Gradually, the hall fell into a hushed silence, allowing the council head to resume her speech. However, just as she began to speak, Nebareo, patriarch of the esteemed Deity family, caught her attention by waving his hand amidst the gathering.

It was clear to her that he had something urgent to share with the crowd.

COUNCIL HEAD: "Honorable Sir! You may proceed with what you have to say with the rest of us," the she urged him.

NEBAREO: "Thank you, council head for granting me this opportunity! However, what I want to share relates to what you said earlier. It relates to the Scale Shield!" Nebareo blurted out.

Hearing his words, the council head simply encouraged him to continue.

NEBAREO: "A few days ago, at a family meeting held within my terrain, a young member of my family mentioned something about what the late Kozak Lateman said.
".... According to that member, the Scale Shield leader's words were stressed this way - 'The Netherworld Will Avenge Me!'..."

As Nebareo made his statement, a wave of confusion and suspicion swept through the crowd, with fixated gazes of annoyance directed toward the Netherworld's regent, who remained unfazed in her seat. The atmosphere was tense as everyone understood the gravity of the situation.

Despite being aware of the Netherworld's treacherous and notorious ways, everyone was left in a state of shock upon hearing Nebareo's accusations.

If what he had said was true, then it would become clear to everyone that the Netherworld was the culprit behind the Scale Shield's terror three months ago.

However, the fact remained that the Netherworld was a powerful and formidable force. Despite their vulnerability in Central Continental City, it was unlikely that any action would be taken against them.

At best, the city could only provide support for the TRIBE to retaliate against the Netherworld outside its territory.

Mako, infuriated by Nebareo's allegations, prepared launch a verbal counter-attack. However, the regent, with a slight nod of her head, gestured to her emissary and advised him against reacting defensively. She assured him that there was no need for such a reaction.

Heeding the regent's words, Mako suddenly regained his composure and retreated back to his seat, suppressing his anger.

Afterward, the council head inquired of Nebareo whether he possessed any evidence to support the assertion made by the deceased Scale Shield leader.

COUNCIL HEAD: "Sir, if you wouldn't mind, do you have concrete evidence of this allegation?"

NEBAREO: "Regrettably no! Just my words! However, we all know what the Netherworld is capable of. This is something that suits their mechanisms and notorious-"

Nebareo's speech dwindled to a halt as a council representative abruptly burst into the chamber, hurrying through one of the entrances.

Without delay, the representative approached the council head and whispered into her ear. Following this, a technological gadget was handed over to the council head by the representative, before departing the hall.