[CH6] CHAPTER 29

Back in Los Angeles, Bernard stood at the secluded corner of a hidden alleyway, the hum of the city's activity surrounding him as he awaited the arrival of a messenger. He had arranged meeting with the informant at the heart of the city's labyrinthine streets, hoping to attain vital clues to his sister's whereabouts.

The private jet that had whisked him to Los Angeles had long since departed, following his explicit instructions not to interfere with his personal mission.

He embraced his independence, relishing the autonomy of pursuing his search for Aurora on his own terms.

After what seemed like an eternity, the messenger finally arrived at the agreed-upon location, catching up with Bernard with a sense of urgency. The messenger was a dark-haired mercenary with a lean physique and a disarming grin, who hailed from a region within the TRIBE known as the 'Universal Truce Of Unity.'

He was renowned for his expertise in gathering and trading intel, his reputation preceding him as a skilled operative adept at navigating the murky world of information brokerage.

BERNARD: "What are your findings, Vixen?" Bernard impatiently asked, somberly addressing the messenger by his direct name.

VIXEN: "[Approaches Bernard with a casual yet confident gesture.] Well, well, well! If it isn't a demon of the west. I wonder where your horns are hidden," Vixen joked.

BERNARD: "I do not have time for your dry jokes, human. Answer me this instant or my flame shall decide your fate!" Bernard threatened, flaunting his cyan sky flame in an imposing manner.

VIXEN: "Woa, woa, chill dude. Can't even let a joke slide through, huh? You know where I come from, we don't take violence lightly." Vixen retorted with his hands up in surrender.

BERNARD: "Humph! Regrettably for you, this is the realm beyond the confines of your Universal Truce Of Unity - here, you're without its protection. You must grasp the urgency; time grows short," Bernard reprimanded Vixen, extinguishing his flame with a decisive gesture.

VIXEN: "[Shrugs.] Oi! Whatever. The Scale Shield Organization doesn't have your little sister. However, a piece of her still remains with them."

BERNARD: "What do you mean by such a word?" Bernard inquired, his somber glare laced with confusion.

VIXEN: "According to Intel, an unidentified female possessing your sister's gene resides in slumber under the shelter of the Scale Shield. My source rumors her as the first test subject to have survived their DNA alteration program," Vixen revealed.

Bernard's eyes widened with surprise as he absorbed the updates, a sense of suspicion creeping into his thoughts. The mention of the test subject sparked a realization in his mind, connecting the dots to the detective who had earlier been sent by Bethany to infiltrate the Scale Shield's building.

With this newfound information fueling his resolve, Bernard wasted no time in taking action. Hastily, he tossed four rare diamonds to Vixen, a gesture of gratitude for the valuable intel. But as he turned to leave, a sudden urgency gnawed at him, prompting him to falter in his footsteps halfway.

BERNARD: "[Casts a sidelong glance at Vixen's direction.] Should you find yourself in the Land of Flames, seek out two idiots by the names of Boid Daywalker and Donald Sunaro. Inform them of my directive and implore them to maintain ease over the leading councils of Crestivenia," Bernard instructed, his voice carrying the weight of urgency and authority.

With a sense of finality, he turned on his heel and strode away, departing the premises. His footsteps echoed with determination, leaving Vixen behind with a heavy sigh and a lingering sense of unease.