Rook

"I don't know what to do, I think I'm just too much for him now. Or it feels that way at least." I sighed and slumped into the couch.

        My best friend, Villa, has always there for me. It used to be... Julian, but he.. ghosted me. My head fell to my hands, but I barely had any strength in me to hold it up properly.

        Villa scooted closer to me and patted me on the back, "I don't understand why someone like him should be ghosting someone like you! Like, you're the perfect girl all the guys are fighting to find! He doesn't even know what he's losing." She scoffs.

        All I could do is muster out a groan. I can't even cry. There's nothing to even cry over. We weren't even technically... together.

        "I just don't understand how he could talk to me like I was the one, like... he wanted me. To date me. And- and the next day he suddenly stops talking to me. The next day he's unadding me on things like snapchat. What have I even done?" I utter all these questions at once. These questions that have been berating my mind.

        "I know babes, you don't deserve this." Villa said. She suddenly stands up, then walks to her compact kitchen in her apartment. She cracks open her fridge and then turns her head back to me, "You want something to take the edge off?"

        Fuck it. I shake my head yes a little too eager and she giggles. She grabs a dark wine bottle from her fridge, then proceeds to walk further into the kitchen. I turn my head back down and rummage in my pocket to retrieve my phone. I look up at the kitchen opening, not seeing Villa.

        I swiftly open Instagram and swipe to my dm's. Surprised he's still at the very top. It's been three days since I last texted him, and was promptly left on delivered. My fingers trembled with anxiety writing; "What did I do wrong?" I looked back at the kitchen opening, only hearing Villa in there. Guilt overwhelms me, but I press send anyway.

        "Ok, lets get this party started!" Villa walks out of the kitchen with two very filled red wine glasses and a smile on her face. I laugh and place my phone down on the coffee table in front of me.

        The next couple of hours we got wine drunk and complained about life. But it was more so me complaining about my boy problems. But no matter how drunk I was, I wasn't trashed enough to forget that asshole.

        "Wanna watch a horror movie?!" Villa said. Her reaction lulled me from my zoning out. I slowly turned to her, finding everything funny suddenly.

        "Yeahaha.." I laughed through my words.

        She pauses the video we were watching to switch apps on her TV. I take this time to grab my phone off the coffee table. I had a lot of notifications for once. I scrolled through all of them, not really sure what I would find, but slightly surprised I had some from Instagram. I open the app itself and slowly swipe to my dm's, hesitating and a sour feeling in my throat. A message from Julien.

        I stared hard at it, I even looked up to the TV to avoid the feeling I was getting. I opened it finally, reading his sick apology.

        "I'm sorry?!" I whispered to myself. My hand gripping around my phone.

        "What?" Villa said. She was still fixated on the lists of movies, but she was clearly expecting a response.

        "Nothin'." I said. I turned my phone off and looked at the TV again.

        "Ugh, is it that bummy ass guy again?" She rolls her eyes and gets up from the couch.

        "Yeah." I said softly. In defeat, I tossed my phone back down on the coffee table.