Chapter Sixty-Six: Azimuth

A long red feather sharpened to a point was pointed at the two Villains standing in the darkness of the warehouse. It was too quiet between the three foes, so quiet you could hear the ocean lapping against the docks outside the warehouse.

Miya shivered; her costume still damp in places. "What the hell are you playing at?" she growled at Hawks, narrowing her eyes on the feather pointed between she and Dabi. It was the first time she's ever been at the receiving end of Hawks's wings; now depleted to nearly nothing but stubs on his back.

"None of that was according to plan." he spat back.

Dabi cocked an eyebrow, "that so?"

Dabi and Miya stood side by side, each in their respectable clothes. Purple light was surging around the lining of Miya's suit, occasionally lighting up her face. She had a scowl on her lips and her eyebrows joined together in frustration. Every now and then she would scrunch her nose when she looked at the feather pointed between she and Dabi.

"According to plan?" she repeated. "Bringing my dad wasn't apart of the plan. How dare you drag him into this, he has no part in this! What, did you think it would be one big happy reunion and I'd change my ways or something?"

"No."

"Then what, Hawks?"

"When I mentioned I was chasing rumours of Nomu, the Commission thought it would be best to bring Kinetic back out of retirement. I tried to stop them, but as usual I had no say in it. They told me it might help my search, considering who Kinetic is to you."

"That did a whole lot good, didn't it?" she remarked sarcastically.

"Well, today you proved them wrong. So there's that. They weren't happy with Kinetic."

"Why did you tell the Commission you were chasing rumours?"
"I had to make it as believable as possible. You should know how it goes before you officially joined the League. I'm just doing the same." The young Hero had the same unimpressed scowl on his lips. "So, how about some actual cooperation?" His hand tightened around the last long feather in his gloved hand. There was bruising on the bridge of his nose where his visor broke.

"Hey," said Dabi, amused. "I thought you only had those baby feathers left?"

"You think I'd meet with a liar like you unarmed? It was supposed to be tomorrow and downtown at the factory by the water. Plus, this Nomu was clearly a cut above the rest. You could've mentioned that before hand."

Dabi casually shrugged. "I guess I just changed my mind. Didn't I tell you we'd be testing the Nomu's capabilities? We're both a little guilty. I asked for someone KINDA strong. But you brought the top dog himself! It wasn't much of a test."

"I thought you'd be thrilled to inflict that kind of damage on him. Besides you're the one who broke our agreement."

"I'm supposed to be believe the Number Two Hero, just like that? This was us testing how much we can trust you." Dabi titled his head. "And tell me why zero casualties today? Do you really sympathise with us? You came looking to cooperate, but you sure don't act like it."

"I gotta keep up appearances. A Hero can't go losing the public's trust. The more faith they have in me the juicer the intel I can get. That's your advantage. Try taking the long view here. What I do, I do for the sake of the League, Dabi."

Miya sighed, and looked at Dabi. "I hate to say it, but he's right there. He has more authority than I had back in the day. Hawks CAN get more and better information than I ever could. It's better he stays a Hero." and she turned a side eye to Hawks.