Chapter Forty - Nine: Asterism

Thirteen year old Miya came stumbling down the corridor of the girls dormitories. It would have been a stupid time of the morning by the time they finally let her go to bed. The corridor was pitch black and deafeningly silent. Her feet ached and her back screamed for relief. The thought of her bed was warming.

Miya finally made it to her door and she fell face first onto the mattress unbothered to change and too tired to move into a more comfortable position.

(Why only me?)

(They even let Keigo go to bed early. Did I do something wrong?)

It only felt like she closed her eyes before her door was opened, the light switched on, and the sun was up. "Up we get!" The bright voice of Aoi Sakura shook her awake. Her stomach twisted. Miya groaned a soft 'go away'.

"I can't do that, you'll miss out on breakfast and todays regiment." she clapped loudly three times. "Come on, get up, Star! Today's training is important. There's a reason your sleep is being limited and today it will all be explained."

Breakfast took forever and by the time she was served a plate her stomach had already shrivelled into nothing leaving a giant black hole in her abdomen. She wasn't even hungry anymore.

(This place is hell.)

Miya stood on the balls of her feet trying to relieve them of some pain, fighting back to keep her eyes open.

"Pay attention!" The instructor's bare foot connected with her stomach and she was sent hurling into the mats. "On your feet!" he stood above her, watching her gasp for breath. Miya stumbled back to her feet, too tired to even be angry. They made sure of that days ago.

She ran forward, head down, arms outstretched.

The instructor grabbed down arms, swung her under his left, twisting her joints backwards and sent her face first into the mats; again. Sweat crippled down her forehead and her body begged to stop. On shaky arms, Miya got back onto her feet.

"Push your body past its limits."

"If you just let me rest..."

The instructors palm met her face and she was on her bum. Again. Pain shot up her nose and her eyes watered. Blood dripped down her chin.

"Weak." she was pulled to her feet. "Useless." she managed to block a right hook and missed the knee that hit her stomach, leading to his hand cutting into the side of her neck. "How are you going to manage against a Villain. They're not going to let you rest."

Miya griped the right side of her neck, fighting back the burning pain and the rigidness it caused.

"There are innocent people depending on you, and you want to give up? That wont do as a Hero."

"What if I don't want to be a Hero?"

"That's what you might think, weakling. But when it comes to staying alive, you will do almost anything."

Miya's forehead was pressed to the matts, hunched over. Blood dripping from her nose. Another foot kicked her side and sent her rolling over. A spark of Dark Matter erupted violently, like glitter exploding from a bottle, and the instructor jumped back.

"Control your Quirk!" he shouted, and came for her again. He lifted a foot and Miya was quick to roll out of the way. He stomped the ground and came for her again. She kept rolling away, unable to get to her feet anymore.

"Get on your feet, weakling!'

Miya found herself against the mirrored wall. His knee was coming for her face and she ducked. The entire panel mirror shattered above her and rained down in large pieces. The instructor gave no mind. He grabbed her shirt and hauled her across the training room. He stepped over the glass as if it was no more than a patch of grass and headed straight for her like a furious bull in a field.