Chapter Forty - One: Solar Eclipse

It was 1:12 in the morning. The industrial streets in Shizuoka were oddly quiet. The occasional truck or car would pass, and the strange person. But Stardust and Dabi were the strangest. Strolling the back streets and keeping to walls and avoiding the street lights. The Hero Public Safety Commission headquarters was up ahead.

That damned building. That hell trapped behind walls and labeled HERO.

Miya looked up from the street.

It loomed over her like a black scorch mark against the starry sky. It wavered and moved, leaning back and forth, creaking and stretching. Teasing her. Inviting her inside. The same emblem that was on her costume, and Hawks's shirt, rests on the tower.

Dabi's hand pressed to her right shoulder. "Are you going to stare at it all night?" he remarked. "We ain't got all night, baby."

Miya blinked. She nodded. She stepped forward. One foot in front of the other, she made her way up the steps. She remembers being dragged up these steps by her Father once, kicking and screaming she didn't want to go back.

Her suit glowed brightly. How should I do this?

She raised her hands. She pictured it. She pictured how it looked, how it moved, what shape it took. Every little atom and zap of energy, she formed it, turned it into something else. She made it real. Blackness manifested around her, churning and jolting. It came froward, creeping slowly. Waiting for a command.

Miya's finger twitched. The left side jolted violently. She threw her arms forward and the Dark Matter shot forward, carving a stream around Miya.

The blackness smashed through the front doors and windows. It tore up the reception and lobby. Twisting and turning like a tornado of teeth. Expensive paintings were left in shreds. The marbles tiles were ripped up violently, cracked apart and grinded into dust. The large oak desk was shredded and thrown apart. The papers, the computers, the plants, the chairs. Nothing was given mercy.

She threw an upper hook and the Dark Matter shot through the ceiling to the second floor and destroyed everything up there. Planks of debris and rubble and anything sitting on the floor above fell through the ceiling in heaps of trash.

Dabi watched with a grin. He could see all her anger focused into this attack. It was glorious to watch.

Miya looked back for approval. The smile on his face was enough to speak. She turned her attention back and swung her arm to the side. Dark Matter ripped through the second floor and part of the third, before coming back down to lobby and forced its way through the ground into Sub Level One. Electricity sparked and a water pipe busted somewhere.

Miya lowered her hands. The blackness faded into nothing. Like swirling sand. And her suit dimmed halfway. The surge of collected energy was now slow to run its course.

Her chest heaved and her heart raced. She did it... she actually did it. She laughed; then sobbed.

Miya stepped inside. Her boots crunched over the rubble and she hummed in satisfaction. She stood at the edge of the hole in the ground. Beneath was just a never ending black hole at her feet. But it wasn't enough. She gazed around. Red lights were flashing and blinking, but no alarms sounded. Silent alarms no doubt.